How To Clear A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I put an Amber Ale in a keg straight from the primary a week ago now. Also when I brewed it I forgot the Whilfloc. Will it clear in the keg by itself? if so, how long? or could I add a little gelatine to help?

Steve

It will eventually clear on its own but gelatine will speed the process up.

I think from now on I will rack to a secondary, as I do for bottling, prior to filling a keg.

I think from now on I will rack to a secondary, as I do for bottling, prior to filling a keg.

Rack to secondary...leave for a couple of days....chuck in fridge at 0 degrees for a couple of days (add polyclar)....then keg :beer:
Steve

Rack to secondary...leave for a couple of days....chuck in fridge at 0 degrees for a couple of days (add polyclar)....then keg :beer:
Steve

Im sorry Steve but I see no point in rack for suck a short time, even up to a couple of weeks. The point of rack is to get the beer of the trub and old yeast so that the beer may have an extended aging. Why rack for a couple of day and then chill, the clearing process has already begun in primary so just leave it for a couple more days (or however long you secondary) and then chill the primary.

Im sorry Steve but I see no point in rack for suck a short time, even up to a couple of weeks. The point of rack is to get the beer of the trub and old yeast so that the beer may have an extended aging. Why rack for a couple of day and then chill, the clearing process has already begun in primary so just leave it for a couple more days (or however long you secondary) and then chill the primary.

Chill the primary....now theres a thought...I guess its just habit I havent got out of from when I used to dry hop in the secondary fermenter. I now dry hop in the keg so yeah I guess I could now skip racking to secondary :beer:

Chill the primary....now theres a thought...I guess its just habit I havent got out of from when I used to dry hop in the secondary fermenter. I now dry hop in the keg so yeah I guess I could now skip racking to secondary :beer:

Another convert :D

1 down... 2687 to go :lol:

Another convert :D

1 down... 2687 to go :lol:

I even idophored my secondary fermenter this morning to rack an APA into tonight.....I shall put it straight in the fridge instead :D

then chill the primary.

Jye,

do you ever add polyclar to the primary as well prior to kegging/bottling? I think once I get my fermenting fridge set up and controlled for heat/cool I migh just try chilling my conical down and keg straight from the conical. But for those that need a bit of chill haze removal....can you polyclar/gelatin the primary direct?

Ive added gelatine to the primary a few time and regularly add polyclar, both still work fine.

The only time I wouldnt add to the primary is if I want to reuse the yeast cake. But Ive read on the greenboard of some brewer still using it after adding gelatine with no side effect so it might be worth a try. Reusing with polyclar should also be fine since it just floccs out or can be filtered.

dont drink the keg, leave it in the fridge just sitting there for 4 weeks. yea riiiight!

or

drink the keg really really fast and you will find the last glass will pour crystal clear!

dont drink the keg, leave it in the fridge just sitting there for 4 weeks. yea riiiight!

or

drink the keg really really fast and you will find the last glass will pour crystal clear!

Great advise there :(
I think I would rather take the second, and drink in a dark room.

Sorry SJ! was just really taking the piss. i've had cloudy and clear beers, trust me they do clear over time. Never really botherd with polycar or filtering, although if dollars permitted i'd have one of Ross's filters for sure.

Is it a mind thing when you drink it cloudy or you really cant taste the difference and just want it athsetically (sp?) pleasing?

Depends what kind of haze it is. If it is yeast haze you would expect a taste difference. However chill haze doesn't (correct me if I'm wrong) attribute any noticeable flavour to a beer.

Is it a mind thing when you drink it cloudy or you really cant taste the difference and just want it athsetically (sp?) pleasing?

Thats it. If u got all the bling it's just nice to have a nice bright beer coming out too.

Does anyone know if you gelatine in a keg & let sit whether it comes out in the first pour ?

Yes it does no worries.

Gelatine just allows the yeast to settle faster and doesnt actually form jelly in the bottom of the keg... even though that would be funny :D

Sorry SJ! was just really taking the piss. i've had cloudy and clear beers, trust me they do clear over time. Never really botherd with polycar or filtering, although if dollars permitted i'd have one of Ross's filters for sure.

You sure can taste yeast & in most beers (wheats excluded) I find it pretty unpleasent. You go to all that trouble to make a nice crafted beer & leave the yeast floating in it yech :icon_vomit: ...
Chill haze you can't taste until it drags down the quality of your beer, which fortunately takes a while.

cheers Ross

Edit: I also keg direct from primary, dry hopping, polyclaring etc in primary.

You sure can taste yeast & in most beers (wheats excluded) I find it pretty unpleasent. You go to all that trouble to make a nice crafted beer & leave the yeast floating in it yech :icon_vomit: ...
Chill haze you can't taste until it drags down the quality of your beer, which fortunately takes a while.

cheers Ross

Edit: I also keg direct from primary, dry hopping, polyclaring etc in primary.

your just trying to sell me a filter ! :lol:

Ross the pimpin filter pusher! hahaha just joking mate

I do agree clear beer looks and tastes good, but im not going to not drink my cloudy beer. B)

Back