How to clean this?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewkid

Reaction score
Im cleaning up the kegs and kegerator i got the other day and ive just removed the taps to find this mess.

Can i pull it all apart and soak in nappisan overnight?

What are your thoughts?

rps20160826_221319.jpg

rps20160826_221503.jpg

I also have some pink shit (forgot what its called) can i use that to soak?

Actually not as bad as you think. Both parts are brass not stainless, clean them and they will work fine, replace with stainless parts as funds permit.

Well at least there is a brand new spare tap.

Will have a go at cleaning the others tomorrow.

Definitely need to pull the old beer lines out of the font anyway so will scrub it out and see how it looks after.

rps20160826_224335.jpg

Soak it in starsan to remove the rust ( yes I know its stainless ) and maybe some caustic soda after that

wynnum1 said:
Would that work.
AFAIK its pretty much just sodium percarbonate in coffee machine cleaner.

Im going try nappisan and see what happens tonight.

Coffee machine cleaner is sodium percarbonate sold at $100/kg or more. Plenty of people are willing to pay that much too.

Napisan, while not ideal, is OK. Typically, it will be about 25-30% sodium percarbonate with other stuff thrown in. You need to use about 4 times more Napisan than pure perc. and rinse extra well. Make sure you only use unscented stuff!

If you can't budge some of the stains with Napisan or caustic soda, rinse really well (so that you don't mix caustic and acid) and then try with some white vinegar.

If you still can't get it clean, just replace the affected components. In the grand scheme of things, paying only for new plumbing and taps is still a bargain.

Well at least the taps came up good, i couldn't find any green scourers to clean the tower unfortunately so i have to pick some up tomorrow.
Hopefully it comes up nicely.

rps20160828_220117.jpg

Look good. Did you disassemble the taps completely to get into all the books and crannies?

homebrewkid said:
Well at least the taps came up good, i couldn't find any green scourers to clean the tower unfortunately so i have to pick some up tomorrow.
Hopefully it comes up nicely.
only soft cloth on stainless tho yes, scourers will scour stainless

The green nylon scourers are fine on stainless and will not damage it as long as you don't use an abrasive cleaner (such as Jif) with them. Metal scourers, on the other hand, are bad news on almost any surface.

Magic eraser is a great non scratch solution for scrubbing, I get most of the gunge out of my kettle with perc and magic eraser.... works well on plastic fermenters too.

droid said:
only soft cloth on stainless tho yes, scourers will scour stainless
he will be right with the 3m green scourers as they don't scratch. i use to use them to remove rust and carbon build up on artillery parts.

Latest posts

Back