How to check your Thermometers Accuracy at Mash Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phoney said:
Buy yourself some good laboratory grade, calibrated glass thermometers eg: http://www.livingstone.com.au/?PG=search_result&CAT=6&search=thermometer

Then compare it against your ~$30 digital at mash temperatures.

I use an NIST certified mercury thermometer that reads from 40°C to 80°C, I calibrate my mash thermometer against that.

Obviously being a mercury thermometer care must be taken not to exceed the 80°C limit but the thing is ridiculously accurate and reads in 0.25 degree increments, it was the perfect price too, cost me absolutely nothing for what would be a $300 to $400 thermometer with calibration certificate and freight.

wynnum1 said:
30 ml of Methanol is all it takes to kill do you want to have at your house and boiling is going to give you a headache from the vapor.
Only if you drink it.

If you did it outside with a light breeze you wont have an issue. No one is advocating doing it inside with your head over the pot breathing in fumes.

Eagleburger said:
I am glad everything was not as dangerous when I was a kid. I may not have lived.
Yep. I used to do fun things like ******** with ********. Sometimes we even used ********* to ********. One if my favs was to ******* & ****** mixed with ******** and put into a ******. But the best one was *****'' with a ******** and letting it *******.

I wont even mention riding my bike without a helmet. Prob the most dangerous thing I have ever done.

I had so much fun when I was younger.

Im suprised AG brewing hasnt become outlawed due to the dangerous amounts of hot water used.

Black n Tan said:
Look I gave it a go and it all went pretty well until...
attachicon.gif
photo.JPG
Want some orange juice with that?

wynnum1 said:
30 ml of Methanol is all it takes to kill do you want to have at your house

um.... do you know what Metholated Spirits is?

a >1L bottle that is housed in >90% of peoples cleaning cupboards/sheds

its a Methanol/Ethanol mixture.
it was brought out to stop people mixing their own drinks from 'cleaning alcohol' (straight ethanol) and avoid paying the recently added alcohol tax.
they added Methanol BECAUSE it was poisonous.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yep. I used to do fun things like ******** with ********. Sometimes we even used ********* to ********. One if my favs was to ******* & ****** mixed with ******** and put into a ******. But the best one was *****'' with a ******** and letting it *******.

I wont even mention riding my bike without a helmet. Prob the most dangerous thing I have ever done.

I had so much fun when I was younger.

Im suprised AG brewing hasnt become outlawed due to the dangerous amounts of hot water used.

New law just in.
Due to Safety concerns, you are only permitted to purchase <10L pots.
If you are boiling between 2 and 5 Leters, you must have a permit, have notified the fire brigade and the closest hospital, and you must be wearing Hi-Vis clothing.
boiling of more than 5L is prohibited.

n87 said:
New law just in.
Due to Safety concerns, you are only permitted to purchase <10L pots.
If you are boiling between 2 and 5 Leters, you must have a permit, have notified the fire brigade and the closest hospital, and you must be wearing Hi-Vis clothing.
boiling of more than 5L is prohibited.
And steel capped boots, hard hat ( incase the sky starts falling ) , safety googels,face shield, high temp thermal protecting gloves, fire suit, earplugs ( if using Nasa burners ) and large amount of cotton wool to wrap one self in.

It will be illegall to brew in thongs,stubbies & singlet.

Those brewing in non urban areas must have a 2km radius of cleared space devoid of any flamable material and trip hazards.

Those brewing in urban areas must notify all households within a 2km radius and inform them if potential harmfull fumes from hop oils & the use of wheat/grain based ingredients. Those performing grain milling operations must inform all house holds in a 2km radius of possible dust issues with particular concern for allergy & asthma sufferers.. Nasa burners may only be used between 9:00am-4:00pm weekdays due to noise issues. All brewing locations must have a 2.5m fence errected around the entire brewing property to limit the general puplic from becoming injured. Due to environmentall concerns, all chemicals and waste water must be collected and disposed of thru an accredited waste processing facilities. On site disposal has now been deemed illegal.

BIAB brewers using hoists must have a workcover certified hoist with appropriate SWL. All operators must have relevant workcover crane,rigging & dogman tickets. A min of 3 qualified persons will be required for lifting operations of BIAB bags.

* Note : Various local government agiencies may impose additional conditions,permits & fees.

Ducatiboy stu said:
It will be illegall to brew in thongs,stubbies & singlet.
I think that is good policy. It will effectively mean no Queenslanders can brew. Victoria should take out the nationals if this is implemented. :p

Black n Tan said:
I think that is good policy. It will effectively mean no Queenslanders can brew. Victoria should take out the nationals if this is implemented. :p
No chance, the mexicans are more interested in their lattes and salmon polos.

Back