How Often Do You Break Your Hydrometers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must have broken 8-10 over the years. For a long time I always had 2 on hand because of the risk of breakage. I finally broke down and bought a hydrometer something like a year ago and I'm kicking myself for not getting it sooner. It was cheaper than all the hydrometers I've broken over the years.

Going on 2 years with the same one. Treat it like a fragile glass test instrument. Has worked so far.

I want to claim a record here :) :) :)

Made my first batch of homebrew on 6th January 1983 but bought my first hydrometer later that year and I am still using it today. It still has the price label on the little cardboard tube it came in from a local health food store at the time.

It cost me a whole $3.95 in 1983.

Now that I have made this public I will break it on the next brew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bigfella

Just want to fix the brain fart in my post above - I bought a refractometer about a year ago to replace all the hydrometers I had broken....<_<

Yep I still have the original bought back around 95-96 on my second sample tube though.

:)

Broke my first one about 3 months ago, not bad for 7 odd years. Funny thing was, well not at the time it wasn't, the tube it came in had 2 removable ends, so when I slid it back into the tube the ass end fell out and onto the tiles it went. The good thing was I bought a new one a few months before hand cause' I was a bit suss on the readings it was giving me. My new one has a thermometer in it :D . Lesson: Always have 2

I have two that came with the two coopers kits I bought and have siliconed one end of each tube so that the hydrometers dont fall through.
Havent broken any , yet.

Chalk me up for one hydro and one thermometer that broke on Sunday just as I was about to mash in, lucky swmbo had a candy thermometer that I could pry out of her hands.
Greg

Yep I still have the original bought back around 95-96 on my second sample tube though.
Same here...although mine has a thermometer that i managed to put in hot wort on my first AG and is now rooted! Hydro still works fine :beer:

Havent broken one yet, though Ive only been brewing for a year or so, soooo many close calls though that I'm bound to break one sooner or later...

I recently broke my original hydrometer I've had since I started 10 or so years ago.

Was a sad day.....

Jez

Broke my first one about 3 months ago, not bad for 7 odd years. Funny thing was, well not at the time it wasn't, the tube it came in had 2 removable ends, so when I slid it back into the tube the ass end fell out and onto the tiles it went.

You put it back in the tube? I thought that was what the sample tube is for, storing the hydrometer when not in use.

I want to claim a record here :) :) :)

Made my first batch of homebrew on 6th January 1983 but bought my first hydrometer later that year and I am still using it today. It still has the price label on the little cardboard tube it came in from a local health food store at the time.

It cost me a whole $3.95 in 1983.

Now that I have made this public I will break it on the next brew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bigfella

that's older than me! :ph34r:

I just put in an order for my third one *sigh*. Im kicking myself now that I didnt just bite the bullet and buy a refractometer when I broke my first one.Im supposed to be saving to go OS in 2 months so im being a tight a**e at the moment.

EDIT: What are your thoughts on these ebay jobbies?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Brix-Refractome...id=p3286.c0.m14

I bought a $30 beer/wine/spirits hydrometer and it measures +6 in water, bought a aquarium hydrometer for $2 off ebay and it measures perfectly (and also has a thermometer inside!). I felt like a variety of hydrometers for a more acurate measure so i bought a couple..

Not broken one yet but noticed some of the lead? shot is loose and moves around inside.

Looked at the aquarium hydrometers on e-bay but not sure how you use them. Doubt they fit in the measuring cylinder I have.

Jus did another one. That makes at least three this year alone.

Well it finally happened. After 5 years and 40+ brews I just broke my hydrometer. Now I used to have a spare...but I have no idea where that is.

O well. I guess its time to buy a new one :(

Pok

Haven't broken one in 6 months.

Which is the last time i used one.

Have switched to a refractometer, harder to break :icon_cheers:

I've never broken one in 12+ years of brewing, but I'm on my second one because a mate broke one for me when he borrowed it!

Back