How Often Do You Break Your Hydrometers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i must say i dont think i have ever smashed one (hydro) in about 6 yrs.... however thermometers - jebus more than i remember

I have kept the producer rich i am sure. they roll and you watch and pray but they always seem to fall and crack grrrrr

@OP - Those brigalow ones are fairly useless if you ever brew anything that goes above 1040.

Yes, I realised that as soon as I tried to check my first brew to discover it was somewhere over 1.040. And the second one. Problem being when you need a new one there and then and BugW is the only place to find them locally.
Looked at a couple of threads on the refractometer, sounds complicated...

Refractometer:
EDIT: What are your thoughts on these ebay jobbies?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Brix-Refractome...id=p3286.c0.m14

Yes I bought from easylifeproduct and it was the go!

You can get the one with a knurl on top like that picture to adjust (not needed as once you calibrate your refractometer you won't touch the calibration screw much at all again -- mine came perfectly calibrated out of the parcel from easylifeproduct).

You can also get them with watch batteries and light inside. Noice but not a must have, I have the stock standard one after deciding between them all but I was very close to getting the integrated light version.

Either one will be a great choice. I am considering going in for another one, but one for reading the high sugar ratios of honey now that I got my bees :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Now I have a few hydrometers including a very accurate one that is my pride and joy. None have been broken because I find I am not using any hydrometers anymore since getting the refractometer :p

For now the hydros are all packed neatly away waiting for the day when a 2nd opinion is needed... so far not yet :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

How often do I break my hydrometers? Usually only once.

Yes, I realised that as soon as I tried to check my first brew to discover it was somewhere over 1.040. And the second one. Problem being when you need a new one there and then and BugW is the only place to find them locally.
Looked at a couple of threads on the refractometer, sounds complicated...

Order one from a retailer - craftbrewer, grain and grape?

If you find that problematic I'm happy to buy one for you and post it. You can either re-imburse me or send me a beer.

Order one from a retailer - craftbrewer, grain and grape?

If you find that problematic I'm happy to buy one for you and post it. You can either re-imburse me or send me a beer.

Might make the trek to a home brew shop soon, see what my day ends up looking like tomorrow. Otherwise will order one; just would rather be ordering a decent amount of stuff to make it worthwhile when I do rather than just one thing. But thanks for the offer.

A few packets of yeast, a hydrometer and some hops bags would be a decent order but still minimal postage. Not sure what level of brewing you're at, nor what penny pinching level you're at (I say that as a penny pincher) but if you really want to make it worthwhile chuck in some spec grains, dme, dextrose and sanitiser. All you need for any level of brewing without a large postage price.

Obviously if you're AG or partial you could add in some base malt as well and pad it out to keep you brewing for months.

Trips are good but things turning up on your doorstep from a place that has everything is gold.

I'm still using my original hydrometer about 4 years down the track...am I the odd one out?

Nope, never broken mine either :) Same story too, from my original kit, all those years ago

A few packets of yeast, a hydrometer and some hops bags would be a decent order but still minimal postage. Not sure what level of brewing you're at, nor what penny pinching level you're at (I say that as a penny pincher) but if you really want to make it worthwhile chuck in some spec grains, dme, dextrose and sanitiser. All you need for any level of brewing without a large postage price.

Obviously if you're AG or partial you could add in some base malt as well and pad it out to keep you brewing for months.

Trips are good but things turning up on your doorstep from a place that has everything is gold.

Got can of goo #3 going at the moment, so not at all advanced yet - a trip to the brew shop would be the best idea right now to get the right idea of what stuff to pick up to start doing some better brews. Until I get a better handle on things would rather the personal touch rather than mail order.

No worries. Sometimes people talk about their local HBS being two hours drive so in those circumstances I think save the bother unless driving nearby for another reason.

Personal touch can be good, especially when starting out. Don't take everything the HBS staff say for gospel (don't take everything said here for gospel either).

Cheers

I just put in an order for my third one *sigh*. Im kicking myself now that I didnt just bite the bullet and buy a refractometer when I broke my first one.Im supposed to be saving to go OS in 2 months so im being a tight a**e at the moment.

EDIT: What are your thoughts on these ebay jobbies?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Brix-Refractome...id=p3286.c0.m14

Broken 2 now and one was outta whack

So, I bought one of these a coupla months back
It's been working a treat

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brix-Refractometer-...id=p3911.c0.m14

Speaking of measuring gravity,does anyone use the digital refracto's similar to what Ross sells?

If so,how hard are they to clean?and do they tend to hunt for a reading.Or is it instant.

Cheers

Nope, never broken mine either :) Same story too, from my original kit, all those years ago

same same. have replaced the hydro tube once though. watch i'll break it now during my next brew day.

Got can of goo #3 going at the moment, so not at all advanced yet - a trip to the brew shop would be the best idea right now to get the right idea of what stuff to pick up to start doing some better brews. Until I get a better handle on things would rather the personal touch rather than mail order.

Being in the northern beaches, Daves Homebrew in nth syd would be your closest hbs. While dave's great to have a chat with & get advice off him in his shop, he also does free delivery (within sydney) for orders over $100 - when you order online. Which if you plan your next 3 - 4 brews it's easy to do and saves you the drive over there, as well as free's up your saturday mornings for brewing! :)

same same. have replaced the hydro tube once though. watch i'll break it now during my next brew day.

Still using the original hydro from my first coopers kit over 3 years ago. I'm onto my 3rd tube though - I think I melted the original one!

I am on my second, although family broke the first. Have two now, as you never seem to break things when you have a spare, only when you are without. That said, the spare is a bigw job, more for checking final gravity...

Latest posts

Back