How much to dry hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excessive grassiness may be due to the packaging and storage conditions of the hops.

Cascade can smell like sex on a stick or like a lawnmower catcher.

Only ever dry hop with your freshest hops. If you don't like the smell of the hops you are about to use, don't add them as dry hop. Use slightly stale ones for bittering if you need to.

Hey guy I'm just wondering about time length of dry hopping. Just about to rack my first AG, an imperial IPA into secondary and going to add some dry hops. Recipe calls for three days beer due to be in secondary for probably 9 days. Should I scoop out hop bag after the three days and risk open fermenter to infection or just leave the hops in till I polyclar a few days before bottling???

Nick JD said:
I usually do 1-2g/L. Much more than that with a lot of hops and it starts to tastes like hops, rather than beer.

Gets that same taste as chewing on a hop pellet, and the malt backbone of the beer is smothered. Also usually gets a vegetal aspect.

Depends a lot on the hop though. I won't dry hop Galaxy at all. Stuff will make your beer tastes like grass clippings. Amarillo and citra are great dry hoppers.

**** me, I agree with Nick.

Some people say you can never have too much but you can if you have a semblance of a palate.

Not just the amount but the hop itself and the length of time is important. 1-2g per litre + 2-3 days is a good starting point, hop and brew dependent somewhat. Start from there and increase as much as your palate would like to.

I usually hop @1gm per litre & never for more than three days.
This suits my tastes & works well.

Latest posts

Back