How Much Beer Do You Have On Your Shelf?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still have not told us what happened to all that Cola?

He's not saying, but Bribie's dentist is a rich man these days.

egypt-p-013.3.jpg

You still have not told us what happened to all that Cola?

Sorry, been out at BABBs tonight where my stout in the mini comp did abysmally. Judged as too fruity and with distinct strong sherry overtones "may have been fermented too high". Well just a tad high

COOPERS_FOAM.JPG

:D

Anyway on topic, some of the cola got drunk by SWMBO and visitors, at least ten got used with mentos to see how high we could make the foam squirt up in the air and the rest went down the drain for that oil spill (it wasn't the tanker, that was a cover story). Guy at ALDI used to say "you must really like that Cola" and when I told him what I did with it he looked a little shaken.

Hi

I currently have 8 by 23 litre batches in 750ml and 1.5 litre bottles, the aim is to increase this to 12 batches.

I consume a batch a week so the idea is to drink beer that has been conditioned for about 3 months.

You can never ever have too much beer, I did have about 12 batches or approx 300 800ml bottles in rotation. Now I have 8 kegs (4 full), and slowly getting through my bottles, it's just so hard to open a bottle when you can just pour a beer from tap. Also have 3 fermenters going all through winter but only 2 in summer cause the space where I keep them cool will only fit 2. If you wanna fill that shelf up mate your just gonna have to get a couple more fermenters.

At last count I had a combined total (stubbies/longnecks of HB, plus some hop thief and TEN20) of 16.5cases...

Given the wife doesn't drink I think I'll be right for a while, got another 45odd litres fermenting right now, which reminds me I need to rack one today.....

I just cannot picture having that much beer to mature. Lets face it many beers should be drunk young...

QldKev

Yes, but some should age as well.
I now have 17 kegs so plenty to age and to drink young. :p

Cheers,
Bud

Have 8 kegs, 3 are in use, producing more beer to get them stocked up, and about 4 cartons worth of bottles. Cooler months are going to help as I should be able to ferment with a fishtank heater keeping the temps up, while another is chilling/fining in the fridge.

I would say I have too much beer.
It's certainly too much to count, and I really couldn't be assed sitting down and counting them (thirsty business), but i'd say there's the best part of 1000 bottles of beer in my cellar.
Luckily, recently going to kegs gives me time to finally get around to drinking the old stock. Though that could take a lifetime in itself! :blink:

:eek: :blink: :beerbang:

If you need some help, just let me know.

myself i have 2 fermenters buying a third for racking & priming

bottle wise i have about 300 PET tallies and working on getting some more but i'm trying to get more stubbies around 240 for other occasions.

i find having 2 fermenters is a good amount but i need another for bulk priming & racking as i'm having to wait until i bottle instead of putting another down when the other is half way through primary.

You don't have to rack to bulk prime. I know everyone recommends it etc etc but I think it's a waste, particularly if its frustrating new brewing efforts. Just make sure you dissolve the sugar first and give it a good chance for the sugar solution to diffuse and the brew to settle before bottling (30-60 mins should do the trick).

I have 8 kegs (2x50L, 1x45L, 2x21L, 2x19L and 1x9L) and about 20 crates of tallies. I only have the 45L and 1 21L keg full atm, plus about 8 crates of full tallies... oh and a crate of full tallies in loftboy's shed from the Sydney Easter swap..:unsure:.. really should grab them soon

:eek: :blink: :beerbang:

If you need some help, just let me know.
Sure thing Andrew.
I usually try to fit in an occasion or two every year for mates to come around and help me with my 'stock control problem'. :icon_cheers:

Nothing at my place ever gets past a month and a half old unless I hide some bottles under my bed, even though I have two fermenters constantly cranking. I'm sure the housemates appreciate it though.

At this point about 500 longnecks full. "Peak beer" has been about 1200 x 750/800ml longnecks- that was one year when I had to drink a few extra bottles on bottling night so I could finish emptying the fermenter.

If I were to go to the convenience of kegs that would mean at least 40 x 19ltr kegs. My fermenter holds 44 gallons and I brew what some would call 'megaswill' 4 or 5 times a year (in winter).

This means I (usually) don't have to wait for beer to mature and I don't have the fear of making vinegar in summer.

Excessive? You can always say: "Look how much money I saved on beer, darling" :icon_cheers:

Even if you drank a slab of Yarra water a week, and kept the empties, it would add up to a massive pile of stubbies at the end of the year.

Not excessive in terms of amounts of bottles but do you live on a farm?

Where do you keep them?

Storage is my issue, i have room under the house, perfect space, but try lugging 15-30 full longies down 2 flights of stairs and a ramp to under the house.
Too hard, then lug them back up a month or 2 later when you need a drink. I've taken to storing the longer life beers under the house, the darks and stouts.
The short life hoppier beers stay near the bar ready to go.

Not excessive in terms of amounts of bottles but do you live on a farm?

Yeah, a beer farm....

No just a suburban block. I did cheat and built a shed which is 5 squares bigger than the house :D

More space is taken up by unfinished projects (mainly cars) than beer bottles. Strangely, brewing and bottling are always projects I seem to finish.....

A quick calculation shows that 1200 bottles takes up less than 3 cubic metres of space. Nonetheless I do have dramas moving boxes of longnecks between and around unfinished projects.

I am lucky however. My MWT (Missus Whinge Threshold) is about 12 empty bottles on the kitchen bench
(MWT = point at which whingeing first starts). This number has been confirmed by repeating the experiment over the course of many years.

Perhaps we could start a new thread- what is your MWT in respect to your brewing/drinking?

I'm no Mathsologist, but I do appreciate the formula by which I adhere to when selecting from The Big Cupboard o' Beer.

Drink first the best, thus allowing the worst to age sufficiently and become the best after forgetting how much better the best was than the worst and by then The Big Cupboard o' Beer is again full of the best.

Simple, really.

Back