How Much Are You Getting Out Of A Sodastream Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st.sloth

Reaction score
Recently started kegging. I'm naturally carbonating - bulk priming and leaving for about 6-8 days at room temp, then hooking up to the sodastream, for serving purposes.

By the end of the keg - my Sodastream's empty. I've been running serving pressure at about 8 psi (that's seems to be as low as i can get it with my regulator)

Just wondering if this is how much everyone's getting out of theirs?

Cheers, Louie

I don't use them, but I think the soda stream gas is pretty expensive for what you get - when I was looking into getting a soda stream unit, with the cost of the gas it worked out just as cheap to buy cola from the supermarket - they only gas up something like 30 to 50 litres of water before they need refilling. As for your situation, will leve things for people that have a clue to answer!

A sodastream bottle holds 330gm of gas which is 150 litres of CO2. If you are running at 1 1/2 atmospheres (8psi) you should have in theory 5 cornies of gas available if you are naturally carbonating. When I was doing this, I usually managed 3 kegs, but I was running at a slightly higher pressure. This question was asked 3 or 4 years ago and I took the trouble to do all the sums. If you are more clever than I, you may be able to find that old thread. I would say you have a leak which you may find with soapy water. At one stage, I had to throw the whole sodastream bottle and reg. in a bucket of water to track down a leak. The reg still works properly, so I guess I did no harm, tho some say that moisture is bad for them and that is why people don't keep them in the fridge. Mine was in a fridge for about three years and didn't seem to care

If I was to use soda stream for dispensing only,it would usually last between 5-8 19l kegs.

I don't use a reg on mine just the fitting off an old soda stream machine,just give a squirt when pouring pressure drops.Have also noticed of late soda stream have fiddled with bottle size and fittings.PITA

After 6-8 days your keg won't be carbed from natural carbonation,hence some extra gas.But probably leaking as well?

Back