How Many Ways To Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Main type of brewing

• Kit & Kilo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kits & Bits or Toucan

• Extract

• Partial

• All Grain normal

• All grain BIAB

• Total voters
Your comparing the no chill method with bulk priming. This doesn't mean 14.25% of people 'no chill'.
Interesting nonetheless.

You are right. 53 out of 119, about 45% have used no chill so it is taking off. I have edited the original.

No chill has captured the imagination of 14% but chilling is still thrilling about 70% (AG + BIAB + Partials + Exctracts - No Chill)

Not sure how you work this out. With 53 out of 142 having voted now, that means that 37% no chill. I know the figure says 14%, but that's 14% of the total who answered that set of questions, with many ticking yes to several of those answers. With multiple choice polls, the percentages don't always mean much.

Not sure how you work this out. With 53 out of 142 having voted now, that means that 37% no chill. I know the figure says 14%, but that's 14% of the total who answered that set of questions, with many ticking yes to several of those answers. With multiple choice polls, the percentages don't always mean much.

I assume kits and Kits&bits dont need to chill (or no-chill) so only about 120 brewer to count.

Ah, good point. So no chill is nearly the dominant method now. Any brewers who've died from it please let us know. :p

Bribie,

you can easily put together a system like you describe. Here in Oz, a "burko boiler' is commonly called an urn & they are often found in community halls & the like. Guys here keep an eye out for them as they are often used for a HLT. Keep your eyes on ebay (& the ebay thread here) as well as local 2nd hand shops. False bottoms can be obtained from Craftbrewer, beerbelly, grain & grape among others.

The fermenter can be picked up in bunnings (often called a camping or canoe drum) you will need to get a tap, gromet and airlock too.

The "pressure barrel" is known as a keg B) Checkout Craftbrewer (site sponsor - link above). If you naturally carbonate in the keg, you may want to cut off an inch of the dip tube so you leave the yeast behind. You can get the co2 injectors or use a soda stream cylinder; a fire extinguisher or a proper co2 cylinder from a gas supplier. You'll also need a tap of some sort & some beer line & a liquid disconnect.

Give Craftbrewer a call or send Ross a PM or email. he'll get you going on the kegging/pressure barrel equipment.

beers
crozdog

Used to do AG in the UK about 30 years ago. In those days it was simple and all you needed were 3 fairly inexpensive vessels:

A Burco boiler which very many households had before the advent of auto washing machines, but nowadays used mostly by the catering trade - still available.

A 5 gallon white fermenter basically the same as we have today.

A 5 gallon pressure barrel

Method:

Heat mash water in Burco. Add grains and then mash. Burco has temperature dial. You needed a false bottom and brew shops in those days would sell you one for a Burco.

Sparge and drain into 5 gallon fermenter

Discard grains and drain the sweet wort back into Burco with hop flowers (not pellets because you need to create a filter layer)

turn up the dial and Boil

Strain through hop bed back into fermenter

Ferment

Rack into Pressure Barrel and prime. Note that the pressure barrels come with a CO2 injector which takes sparklets bulbs. It's designed to keep a blanket of CO2 over the beer.

Mature for a week or so (talking about pom bitter styles here)

Drink.

Simple. However until such a simple and compact system is available in Aus I will continue to do Kits and additives and maybe a bit of partial mashing. However the UK system is really geared towards lightly carbonated top fermenting draught style pom ales and probably wouldn't transfer too well to lagers.

Edit: note that the Pressure Barrel is around $45 our money. If they were available here I'd snap up a few right now - ideal for stouts and dark ales etc. In my Bedsitter in Cardiff it just sat in the corner of the room within easy drinking distance :icon_cheers: :p

The poll depends on where you are in your home brewing journey I suppose. As for me I have done K&K, Kits and Bits (a very short visit) extract (also a short visit it would seem) now doing partials and will do this until I get some more gear together to do AG - no chill. All parts of the journey are interesting and fun.

Cheers
Gavo.

So no chill is nearly the dominant method now. Any brewers who've died from it please let us know. :p

brewer.jpg

Back