How Many Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fridge holds 4 kegs and I have 3 taps, usually one with soda water and 2 for beer. Have a CO2 manifold in fridge with 3 lines to gas in post and a longer line with detatchable fittings for force carbonating, CPBF or even gas in if required.

Works for me.

Cheers, Andrew.

Ok a couple of people have now mentioned soda water, do you just buy several bottles of the stuff and put it your kegs or what?

Also remember reading somewhere on here about mineral water, did anything come of this?

Himzo.

I have a font with four taps, could of done with three but the font was free so not complaining.

KHB

Some advice from someone who has 4 taps with no elegant way to add any more :( , if you are opting for the kegerator as opposed to a font, pay attention to the layout of the taps so you can add more with even spacing. ie if you start with two then space them so you can fit one more in the middle and one on each side for the possibility of 5 with even spacing :super: .
Cheers
Doug

Ok a couple of people have now mentioned soda water, do you just buy several bottles of the stuff and put it your kegs or what?
Also remember reading somewhere on here about mineral water, did anything come of this?
I have 2 taps, one is soda water. It was my trade off for the purchase. ;)
My Soda Water is easy. Fill with spring water and carbonate, same method to force carbonate beer, I have not tried adding minerals yet. We were purchasing multiple bottles from Coles each week, my home made tastes the same to me.

I have 3 taps, with room for 4 kegs. I have the hole already, as the keg fridge came pre drilled from a mate, but I've held off putting on another tap, partially for economy reasons, and partially because I find I rarely have all 4 kegs on the go at once. I have a picnic tap that I generally put on a conditioning keg for sampling purposes and that seems to work well.

So personally, I'd consider 1 less tap than you have room for keg wise, provided you have more than 2, because variety is almost essential in my book :)

All comes down to personal taste though.

Soda water - fill keg with water from the tap

Whack it in the fridge overnight to cool down

Force carbonate (shake at 300kpa) through the beer post like you would beer - probably for an extra 30 secs for more bubbles

And that's it

Cheers

tn_gallery_7666_359_2097.jpg
I love this idea better than any other.
:icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic:

soda water i get, mineral water isnt too much of a stretch but how about tonic water?

My partner spends a fortune on those little bottles of tonic water for G&Ts.

I started off with one tap but quickly moved to 2 for a couple of reasons-

1) one tap on the fridge looks lonely
2) wanted to have a choice of beer available.

When adding taps to the fridge take into consideration future additions. i.e if you stick one tap in the middle of the door then later on you will have to go straight to three as two will look unbalanced and irritate any OCD tendencies you might have (or is it just me??!!)

It's not just you...I've got two taps, with space for a third. Now I'm wishing I had've left the middle space free so it looked even. But then it would've looked weird when I only had one. :ph34r:

On my old upright fridge I originally had 1 tap and soon upgraded to 2. When I moved the 1st tap over to make room for the 2nd I used a rubber blanking grommet to fill the hole then backfilled it with space invader. Didnt look to shabby thankfully.

I started with a kegerator setup with a 3 tap font. After a year I am now planning a chest freezer with space for 8 kegs and a 6 tap flooded font. All for the variety, 3 just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. Where does it end?

:icon_offtopic:

soda water i get, mineral water isnt too much of a stretch but how about tonic water?

My partner spends a fortune on those little bottles of tonic water for G&Ts.
Found elsewhere on the net
Tonic water concentrate

1⁄8 cup Powdered Cinchona (quinine) Bark
1 Orange
1 Lemon
1 Lime
1⁄2 tsp. Allspice Berries
1⁄2 tsp. Cardamom Pods
2 cups Water
1 pinch Salt
1 1⁄2 cups Agave Syrup

Instructions

1. Zest and juice the lemon, lime and orange.
2. Combine fruit zest and juice, water and herbs, and boil on high heat
3. Once boiling, let it cool. Strain it through a paper coffee filter.

This produces tonic water concentrate. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of Agave Syrup and a cup of Water to two tablespoons of concentrate to make Tonic Water.

Found elsewhere on the net
Tonic water concentrate

1⁄8 cup Powdered Cinchona (quinine) Bark
1 Orange
1 Lemon
1 Lime
1⁄2 tsp. Allspice Berries
1⁄2 tsp. Cardamom Pods
2 cups Water
1 pinch Salt
1 1⁄2 cups Agave Syrup

Instructions

1. Zest and juice the lemon, lime and orange.
2. Combine fruit zest and juice, water and herbs, and boil on high heat
3. Once boiling, let it cool. Strain it through a paper coffee filter.

This produces tonic water concentrate. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of Agave Syrup and a cup of Water to two tablespoons of concentrate to make Tonic Water.

Copy, paste, print!

Love your work cdbrown!

Back on topic - I was lucky enough to purchase all my fonts while I was living in London. Ended up with a nice ceramic font, a few flooded fonts (grolsch, fosters), 4-way t-bar with different tap labels, some old flowrite fonts which have there own little pump in them, 2 beer engines and a few other fonts. Way more than I need but allows for expansion. I'm hoping to employ 6 taps, keg freezer can hold 8 so allows for a bit of a buffer.

Kegerator (480litre fridge) holds 6 kegs. I have 4 evenly spaced taps and 2 picnic taps inside the fridge, until I can convince the better half that I need 2 more taps. I also have a chest freezer tha holds 4 kegs, so if any of my taps run dry, I have gassed, cold kegs to swap in. Murphy's law saw that when you have a few friends over, you will definitely empty 3-4 kegs that were nearly dry anyway. Nothing worse than having beer made adn kegged, but not cold when the other kegs run dry.

To the people that have mucked up their fridge doors by not anticipating more taps. Just get a piece of stainless, aluminium, timber or laminex and use it to cover all of the exitsing holes (after removing the taps of course. Then redrill the holes spaced out correctly, and fill the old holes with pink batts or aeoresol spray foam from the rear. Looks nice and tidy from the front and seals up fine from the back. You might want to think of even having an angle bent into the stainless to form a ledge for your drip trays...

Latest posts

Back