How Many Slants Of One Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj1984

Reaction score
I have started slanting and so far i have 4 vials of 1056, i have a few packs of yeast to go through and was wondering how many vials do you slant to keep you going?

Say the WY private stuff comes out and you wont see it again for a while how many would you do?

I do 4 or 5 of each to maximise the number of yeasts I can have in the fridge without upsetting the wife. And then I plan my brewing so that each time I use a slant I will do a series of brews that will use that yeast.

With the special releases, 5 slants or so then use the first run of the yeast 4 or 5 times in a run then I have slants to use and recultured from the bottle in desperate times.

If I wanted fewer yeast selections I'd probably do more slants of any one variety.

Specialty yeasts I keep about 6 of each, eg 3068 and CPA.

With 1056 or any yeast that you can get dried why bother with keeping vials of them? By the time you spend to grow them up into a pitchable volume, and there is always a risk of infection, it is not worth it when then they are under $5 a packet.

With all my yeasts I always plan my brewing on the same yeast cake for a few brews, so can get a few batches per pack/vial. Theses heaps of info on here about reusing yeast cakes.

QldKev

We make up to 8 slants of the most used ones, and 4 of the lesser used ones.
We have 20 different types of yeast. We never brew on a yeast cake. Just our prefernce.

When we get down to 2 slants left we make another 4 to 8 using a scraping from the second to last slant.
We always use the second to last in case of a failure, we still have one to make more from.

We have been using the same original 1056 for over a year, and have made 42 slants and grew 37 starters so far, a combination of singles and doubles.

We cost our yeast for a brew at 50 cents, which is really the cost of the DME. We find spending this much a lot better than paying 5 bucks a shot.

Having said that, we are retired (so have the time) and SWMBO makes the starters and keeps up the yeast farm (I lack the paitence for it). We also have a frige just for yeast with hops in the freezer compartment.

Cheers,
bud

I have started slanting and so far i have 4 vials of 1056, i have a few packs of yeast to go through and was wondering how many vials do you slant to keep you going?

Say the WY private stuff comes out and you wont see it again for a while how many would you do?

I do 10 in my 16ml tubes for yeasts like Weihenstephan that I only use once then discard.
For most yeasts I do 5 then carry on to 5 generations. Even then I find that I have more splits of the one yeast than I will ever use but better too many than not enough.

With 1056 or any yeast that you can get dried why bother with keeping vials of them? By the time you spend to grow them up into a pitchable volume, and there is always a risk of infection, it is not worth it when then they are under $5 a packet.

Being a miserable old git those multiples of $5 are better off in my pocket than in a retailers Kev. :p Never nad an infection in an ex-dry yeast starter yet but keep spares on hand just in case. :icon_cheers:

When we get down to 2 slants left we make another 4 to 8 using a scraping from the second to last slant.
We always use the second to last in case of a failure, we still have one to make more from.

Do the same here budwiser. :icon_cheers:

TP

Make lots of them Deej, so I can scam them from you when I need some yeast! :D

Crundle

3 to 5 for me generally, always reslant the second to last slant, just incase the last one goes pear shaped...

I do just as Crundle does. 3-5 slants and re-culture new ones either every 6 months (OK... closer to a year if the truth be told) or when I get down to the second last one. whichever comes first.

I use the whole slant and discard it. Seldom pitch onto yeast cakes

Back