How Many Goes From A Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenewenger

Reaction score
Evenin all

I have made a starter from my dried yeast and put some aside in the fridge for the next brew , just wanted to know how many goes you might get from these I know you can do a liquid roughly 5 times but I am not sure a dry would go that far .

Wont be long before i get back to liquids anyway but thought I would ask

Cheers
AW

Evenin all

I have made a starter from my dried yeast and put some aside in the fridge for the next brew , just wanted to know how many goes you might get from these I know you can do a liquid roughly 5 times but I am not sure a dry would go that far .

Wont be long before i get back to liquids anyway but thought I would ask

Cheers
AW

arsenewenger,

I have never split a dry yeast starter quite the way you have done but have just dumped the lot into the fermenter & farmed from there after fermentation was complete.

Going by my farming of Nottingham & other dry yeasts I have found that five generations has not changed anything significantly (To my tastes anyway) but is apparently the limit of reliable yeast generations so theoretically you could split the yeast from your original fermentation (1st gen) into "x" tubes after farming & multiply by four ---- eg-- 8 tubes\gen 2. Split the 2nd last (For safety's sake) into 8 more tubes\gen 3 which finally brings you to 33 yeast starters if you count the original.
Not too bad for an outlay of less than $10 & that's only if you confine yourself to 8 starters per generation.
That is theoretically as you will probably never use a fraction of them but you did ask the question.
Good luck with it. :icon_cheers:

tP

If you are bottling then rather than go to weird and wonderful methods of storing jars etc why not just reculture the sediment off a bottle of a successful brew just like one does with Coopers Commercial beer.......... that's what I've done on several occasions and even won a serious competition with a mild ale brewed off the dregs of a bottle of a Bitter that also won a prize (obviously a chip off the old block :rolleyes: )

That way, you know the yeast is definitely sound and you don't waste a thing because you still get to drink the bottle of beer (or to be on the safe side cultivate two or three bottles worth of sediment). I have even started to bottle the last runnings out of the fermenter and end up with a bottle with a good one fifth of sediment in it, prime it as just a beer like the rest of the bottles and keep it with them but just as a breeder.

I agree with Tidal that 5 times is pushing it, I would normally go three generations at the most, and find that US-05 and Nottingham really lend themselves to this method of cultivation. Some of the liquid yeasts get a bit picky and sulky but that's another story.

Cheers
BribieG

Back