How many fermentors do you use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home brewing in a share house. It can’t get better than that.
We didn't live together, just brewed. All the gear was at one house (where there were other housemates, so I guess you could say we brewed in a share house), and we would turn up at about midday on Saturdays and brew. And oftentimes party afterwards.

2 for when i split an 8ish kg grainbill grainfather to 2 fermenters - for the easy drinking stuff
plus 1 for longer ferment, bigger abv beers. all the good stuff that i like to ferment longer and age longer. usually got all 3 going at the same time.
plus 1 with no trub filter, only used for bulk priming and bottling.
so 4 all up. my mates used to come over and empty the cellar, but Covid 19 got rid of them for me. supply is now about right.

Yep, I ferment under pressure and so I am usually a Sunday - Sunday kind of brewer. Ferment and pitch Sunday, transfer to keg following week. Having said that, i've not done high ABV that needs aging, but I would just do that in kegs. I only have 1 ferm fridge. As for mead, I have 3 sitting under the staircase right now...

Yep, I ferment under pressure and so I am usually a Sunday - Sunday kind of brewer. Ferment and pitch Sunday, transfer to keg following week. Having said that, i've not done high ABV that needs aging, but I would just do that in kegs. I only have 1 ferm fridge. As for mead, I have 3 sitting under the staircase right now...
my cryptic writing style ~ higher abv that i do a longer ferment (for insurance) that i intend aging longer (in bottles). like 6-18mnths for the good ones.
although i'm starting to think that they generally don't improve after 8-9 mnths under the conditions that i've got here (cellaring ambient temperature etc). of the 50 or so that i've aged over a year+, only 2-3 were still improving at 1 year. interestingly, those ones were pretty bland and flat looking at 2-3 months.

although i'm starting to think that they generally don't improve after 8-9 mnths under the conditions that i've got here (cellaring ambient temperature etc).
Mate I can't even wait 8-9 DAYS hahaha. The only thing that ages is Mead cause it's horse piss otherwise!

Mate I can't even wait 8-9 DAYS hahaha. The only thing that ages is Mead cause it's horse piss otherwise!
haha, i only put 6-8 330ml, 345ml aside for the long haul from a brew. so 1 (ish) per month after 6 months. do that on some sort of regular basis, and you get to the point where you've got a few good to go every week. it's the weekly treat and real cream for all the effort. big reward for bottling over kegging, too. and they are usually worth the wait - they go to another level of good.
and that's funny - i haven't had the patience to brew a mead yet. something freudian in all this

Mmmmmm I have enough trouble with 1 x 25L bochet, don't think I'd stop worrying if I had 1,600L fermenting.

Back