How Long Will Cracked Grain Keep For?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
G'day folks,

Ok so I realise this question has been asked before but I wanted some clarification in regards to my own situation.

So I bought a bundle of grain (cracked) back in mid december 08, and unfortunately I have not had the chance to brew with it due to vintage (wine industry) and uni. I was wondering how long I should expect it to keep for.

The grain was sealed in air tight bags (heat sealed but not vacuum sealed though), has been kept at constant temp (cool) and has not seen any sunlight.

I am hoping if I get a day away from the uni books over easter break that I will finally get to do my 1st AG and want to make sure the grain is going to be ok.

My hops on the other hand have been kept in my kegerator in vacuum sealed pouches so these should be good to go.

Anyway any ideas would be great.

Cheers, Pok

Pok, they should be fine, will last 12 months easily if kept cool & dry.

Have a taste if you are worried, if they taste slack (like old soft biscuits), i'd be reluctant to use.

cheers Ross

Pok, they should be fine, will last 12 months easily if kept cool & dry.

Have a taste if you are worried, if they taste slack (like old soft biscuits), i'd be reluctant to use.

cheers Ross

Awesome, I knew I had read the answer on AHB before but can't be arsed finding it at 11pm at night. They defiantly are cool and dry and are still packaged how I received them (which is from you guys at CB anyway).

I guess the moral to the story is to get off my arse and get this damn 1st brew done. :p

Pok

Hey, just on this, does it matter if the bag is air tight or cool and dry is good enough.

Reason I ask is that my grain order was stuffed up today and I got sent cracked instead of uncracked.

(1st time posting, long time reading).

Hey, just on this, does it matter if the bag is air tight or cool and dry is good enough.

Reason I ask is that my grain order was stuffed up today and I got sent cracked instead of uncracked.

(1st time posting, long time reading).

Airtight gives the advantage of what is on the inside staying there and what is on the outside (e.g moisture, bugs, dirt and junk) staying on the outside.

I guess if you ended up with cracked instead of un-cracked the obvious thing to do is brew with it asap (as I plan to do), otherwise try and store it as mentioned ...air tight, cool and dry. The more of those 3 things you can have the better. I would assume the most important would be dry, then cool, then air tight.....I could be wrong but that seems logical.

Pok

Thanks for that, brewing on the weekend, but this just happened to be a bulk order so I anticipate it will take 3-6 months to get through. Looks like Bunnings tomorrow to buy an airtight tub.

Back