How Long Should It Take For Hop Rhizomes To Take Off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey mate

Im on the gold coast and my chinook that i got off DrSmurto was planted about 3 weeks ago and has just started to poke through. My Mt hood plant has being in a bit longer and is about 1 metre high already.

Just planted Cascade about a week ago in a pot with potting mix as the soil in Karratha isn't the best to say the least. Unsure how I'll go but fingers crossed. Watering will be done via the retic system, so water shortage shouldn't be an issue. Placed about 30mm of wood chips over the top to help keep the moisture in. About 30 deg C here these days, looking to pot a shade sail partially over them soon....whenever they sprout, if at all!!

Should I do anything else? or change anything? Only done the one plant, as growing grass can be hard here at the best of times!!

Diggles

Just planted Cascade about a week ago in a pot with potting mix as the soil in Karratha isn't the best to say the least. Unsure how I'll go but fingers crossed. Watering will be done via the retic system, so water shortage shouldn't be an issue. Placed about 30mm of wood chips over the top to help keep the moisture in. About 30 deg C here these days, looking to pot a shade sail partially over them soon....whenever they sprout, if at all!!

Should I do anything else? or change anything? Only done the one plant, as growing grass can be hard here at the best of times!!

Diggles

You want to keep them well watered in pots in hot weather. They might grow better in the ground with lots of manure dug in and fed with liquid manure. Otherwise keep feeding with liquid manure in pots if you want any action out of them.
A lot of people aren't aware that as well as nutrients like nitrogen, manure also contains trace elements and growth promotants.

I see here it recommends cutting off the first three shoots, does anyone do this?

http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/html/growing%20hops.htm

Like you I grow hops for a bit of fun and interest, if we score a few hops to chuck in a brew it'll be awesome. :beerbang:

That's the guide I have been following. Cut the shoots off a few weeks back on the Hallertau, and the first ones on the Cascade this week. Still waiting on the Chinook to make it's presence known.

First time growing these, so I thought I'd follow some advice linked above

When shoots start to emerge you will be excited. Quell your excitement and cut back the first and second growths. The third coming will be strong and healthy. Nurture it, feed and coax it clockwise around the strings. If you don't it will not grow correctly.
just saw this. What a load of shit. The bines need no help to grow up your strings, this has been discussed in the "show us your hops" threads.

Do folks seem make the whole process a lot more convoluted than it needs to be? (other than trying to encourage the highest yield of cones)

In any other circumstance, hops would seem to be a tough, invasive pest that can do alright by itself thanks very much without the need for human intervention.

Kind of like the Blackberry bush.

Do folks seem make the whole process a lot more convoluted than it needs to be? (other than trying to encourage the highest yield of cones)

In any other circumstance, hops would seem to be a tough, invasive pest that can do alright by itself thanks very much without the need for human intervention.

Kind of like the Blackberry bush.

I've never cut mine back nor do i train them. Once they find something to climb they do.

These plants once established will be like blackberries, almost impossoble to kill.

I don't even encourage the highest yield of cones anymore. I get sick of picking them and I get way too much to use in a year.

That's the guide I have been following. Cut the shoots off a few weeks back on the Hallertau, and the first ones on the Cascade this week. Still waiting on the Chinook to make it's presence known.

First time growing these, so I thought I'd follow some advice linked above
Please be aware that hop shoots can be prepared like asparagus shoots.

I'm willing to try this at home and report back.

I work with a bloke (asian fella) who wants some hops for this reason, going to take some cuttings for him this year.. and in a few years I will have a second place to go get a harvest :super:

:icon_cheers:

Are you sure?
They are toxic to dogs so i would make sure before you hook into munching on them.

I was listening to a podcast just today about hop growing from a 4th gen hop grower from the yakimah valley. He said they cut back the first few as they consume the stored carbs (I don't get it but......). Anyway, after the rest he said was more or less give wide spectrum fertilizer, let it dry out a little between watering (although he said others water every day), and make love to it. I added in the last thing. He also mentioned being planted an inch or so deep is fine and to put compost on it once the bines have grown a little.

The other reason he said to limit the bines was because their machines couldn't handle the excessive foliage.(he limited to around 7 bines I think.)

Basically-water well, give them something to climb on and fertilise regularly. That is all.

Fertigation with growth stimulants can really boost your yield if you know what you're doing. :D

Are you sure?
They are toxic to dogs so i would make sure before you hook into munching on them.

Chocolate also kills dogs and penicillin kills guinea pigs. Just a point of O.T. trivia. Not having a go.

I too would be careful munching on them if I didn't know better. The young, tender leaves make a pretty good salad green when fresh. A bit like baby spinach.

Latest posts

Back