How Long For Dry Hopped Pellets To Drop Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin

Reaction score
I dry hopped in the fermenter 7 days ago with 40g of pellets, this was after 14 days primary. They rose to the top and formed a 'cake' on top. They have been that way since.

Didn't think they would take this long to drop out. Any idea how much longer?

Thanks

Sometimes they do sometimes they dont
Just rack off or bottle from under it
otherwise give it a stir with the paddle and wait a couple more days if its a worry... it may drop out then

Im guessing you dont have a access to a brew fridge to crash chill the begeebus outta the brew with gelatin do you?

Tom

Mine have always taken a few days to drop out... except for some amarillo I just finished where about 50% refused to drop out (including chilling down). No dramas if they get in your beer, however I have had them block my bottling thingo because the spring catches the bigger bits.

Give it a gentle stir as already suggested and you will probably get more to drop out.

Might be able to sort out a fridge to chill it.

So is the recommendation to give it a gentle stir and then crash chill for a day or 2?

I've been doing my cold conditioning after bottling and carbonation has completed.
Backward airlock activity when chilling in my brew fridge puts me off cold conditioning in the fermenter.
Is this a problem when chilling down to 4 degrees or so after fermentation has completed?

Edit - gramma

At the moment I cant really crash cool my fermenters, so ive just been dry hopping for 10 days as usual, kegging as normal then allowing an extra week in the keg for it to all settle out, get the occasional hop pellet in the teeth but theres nothing wrong with that :D

Back