How Long Do Uncracked Grains Last?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
I am currently joining in on the melbourne bulk buy and am just wondering how long people store there grains for before noticing and flavour or efficiency loss?

I find that it depends on the grain and how it's stored. I recently used some BB Galaxy malt that I'd bought nearly two years ago and there was no effiiency drop or difference in flavour. It was stored in airtight containers the whole time though, which certainly helps.

All I did to test it before using it was to chew a bit to see if it was still dry and that it tasted as I expected.

It was stored in airtight containers the whole time though, which certainly helps.

Any hot tips on where to purchase/buy these? Had a look at my local bunnings, nothing's really "air tight"

I had a Wey Pilsner that had been cracked 9 months ago, it was stored in sealed plactic bags in an esky, I considered turfing it and getting a fresh batch cracked, but the tight arsedness in me convinced me it was fine, which it was.
Moral of the story: Always listen to your arse

^ LOL
I actually think that uncracked grains last a lot longer than many of us give them credit for. We don't (and possibly can't) measure efficiently as precisely as commercial breweries so we're probably never going to notice on such as small scale the miniscule drops in efficiency that would really kill commercial breweries.
As for cracked grains...

^ LOL
I actually think that uncracked grains last a lot longer than many of us give them credit for. We don't (and possibly can't) measure efficiently as precisely as commercial breweries so we're probably never going to notice on such as small scale the miniscule drops in efficiency that would really kill commercial breweries.
As for cracked grains...
Never a truer word spoken.
Think you are lacking efficiency?
Throw in an extra few hundreg grams of grains.
Its only the internet you impress with high numbers.

Chuck it under a pyramid and it's good for a couple thousand years

Back