How Long Can You Use A Sample For Fg Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_purple_dragon

Reaction score
Mornin' brewers,

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

There seem to be bucket loads of bubbles when I'm doing my FG readings. I spin the hydrometer and still lots of bubbles making it difficult to get an accurate reading.

My questiuon is, can I leave the sample for a while until the bubble action dies down or is there a maximum duration the sample is useable?

Cheers,
TPD

Yep, no problems leaving it for up to an hour if you need to. Remember to correct for temperature if you aren't reading it at 16 degrees (not such a problem at this time of year). The sample may be quite different though after a day when the wild yeasts have had their way with it.

Tap off your sg sample into the test tube, grab a teaspoon, use the handle to give the sample a good stir to get rid of the dissolved CO2, scoop off the froth and float the hydrometer.

Usually if there is so much dissolved CO2 making it hard to get a reading, the brew is still actively fermenting and has a long way to go before bottling.

Sniff and taste all sg samples.

POL - 3 years of AG under my belt and you know I never thought of either stirring up a hydro sample to knock out the C02, nor made the connection that an excess of C02 probably meant that it was till active anyway.

You are a champion. Thanks

Thirsty

Tap off your sg sample into the test tube, grab a teaspoon, use the handle to give the sample a good stir to get rid of the dissolved CO2, scoop off the froth and float the hydrometer.

Usually if there is so much dissolved CO2 making it hard to get a reading, the brew is still actively fermenting and has a long way to go before bottling.

Sniff and taste all sg samples.

I hear ya with regard to activity but the brew is 14 days old and the readings have been relatively constant for the last couple of days.

I'll certainly try the 'give it a stir' method.

Cheers
TPD

Back