How Long Can You Store Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huscre

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is probably common knowledge but I could only find the info for malt extracts..

How long can you store malt, both crushed and uncrushed, refrigerated and not refrigerated?

Does it degrade from day 1 or is it safe to stockpile bags of the stuff for use in the distant future with no ill effects?

Is there somewhere I can read all about malt storage etc.?

Thanks.

I see no reason why sealed bags can't be stored long term (i.e. 6-12 months) provided you don't get mice or anything else getting into the bag.

I thought the mice were an essential part of the grain? Should I get rid of mine?

I was given a 50kg sack of pils malt that was old. Apart from a drop in efficiency ( about 5% ), it was fine, and the beers were great. Cracked grain would probably lose efficiency quicker ( Maybe??, just a guess ), but that would be the only real problem. Unless you stored it in a 50c shed, or in direct sunlight, or a moisture rich environment.

Hi guys I know it's a bit off topic but what about hopps.I store mine in a sandwich bag with the air removed in the fridge.In Beersmith there is a section where you can check the Alpha acid after being stored for a period of time, does this give a good indication on the loss of freshniss.

Andrew

Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm planning my first AG batch, I noticed grain is almost half price when you buy it in bulk so I assumed people would often be stocking up on 25kg bags with a long turnover, shame about the reduced efficiency.
Thanks for all the help.

shame about the reduced efficiency.

S/he didn't mention how old 'old' meant or how it was stored prior to acquisition. Also 5% could be accounted for by other things. From what I read, uncracked grain can be stored properly (light, temp, air etc) for AT LEAST 6-12 months without issue.

Buy in bulk and just make more beer.

I wonder where this crap comes from? Brewers quoting what they had read,heard or experienced?

A few weeks back I found a few buckets (these have air tight, very firm seals and are black) of malt I brought over from WA.This was in my moving stuff 4 years ago,malt must be nearer 5 years old as I stopped brewing and packed around this time. It was JW and IMC for those who remember them.
So I crushed and brewed a beer,efficiently was good the beer was great.
Oh and the grain stored in buckets was also found stored in the shed all this time.

Personally I believe stored air-tight and away from light grain will last years.

Batz

Hi guys I know it's a bit off topic but what about hopps.I store mine in a sandwich bag with the air removed in the fridge.In Beersmith there is a section where you can check the Alpha acid after being stored for a period of time, does this give a good indication on the loss of freshniss.

Andrew

Wack it in the freezer - should last you long time

I wonder where this crap comes from? Brewers quoting what they had read,heard or experienced?

Which crap - the idea that well stored grain should last for a good amount of time so buying a 25 kilo bag shouldn't be a worry or..............??

I've used grain that has been sealed in plastic snap lock bags inside handy drums that have been over 20mths old. I didn't notice any change in taste but my notes tell me that this beer didn't clear as well. The clarity could be any number of things, but I thought I'd mention it.
The thing with malt storage and age is we often tend to think like the malting was just finished when we buy it. Does anyone know how long their grain is stored before you get it??
20mths was a once off for me, but from experience I'd suggest that 12mths is a cautious figure (caution being a good thing though).

Andrew

Most people store them in Ziplock bags in the freezer compartment. Must last for years I got some dated 2006 crop. No idea on loss of AA over time though.

Which crap - the idea that well stored grain should last for a good amount of time so buying a 25 kilo bag shouldn't be a worry or..............??

Do you think I was referring to that comment? Or did it sound that I was?
Read my post again.
I'm wondering where this 6-12 months comes from.

Batz

The referred to post was AT LEAST 6-12 months. The qualifier was included precisely because I am a relatively new brewer and my knowledge (or lack thereof) is based more on what I read than actual experience. Hence I normally include links and disclaimers when trying to provide new brewers/forum goers with info.

I'm fairly certain that uncracked grain can be stored properly above 6 months without major issue. Is that wrong? I will happily eat any hat you can fit in a postpak if I am. I will pay for postage.

The original poster essentially wanted to know if buying large bags of grain would be a waste (or otherwise result in having to make 60 brews in half an hour to avoid spoilage). The essential point of any of the posts so far is exactly as I've said: the idea that well stored grain should last for a good amount of time so buying a 25 kilo bag shouldn't be a worry

Read my posts again.

I

Personally I believe stored air-tight and away from light grain will last years.

Batz

Hey Batz, I just brewed a batch with 4 year old grain, its still in the fermentor but tastes good so far. I just couldnt throw out somthing that could potnetially make beer :)

Cheers
Scott

I just read that George W Bush Jnr was in fact a garden gnome made from clay and painted with outdoor acrylic polymer paints.

It's malted grain we use I know..but

We use the starch in the grain the convert into sugar, what makes starch deteriorate? I don't know.
Grain from Egyptian pyramids has been successfully germinated after 3000 years, so I'm guessing you could brew with grain when it's a few years old.

The question from huscre was "How Long Can You Store Malt?" My experience and Skottie72's ,years.

Batz

Back