How Happy Am I

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feral Shane

Reaction score
Well Santa was good to me and I got a home brew kit for Chrissy (I did ask for it for my birthday but that doesn't matter). First step was to scour the web for as much info as possible. Read all about All Grain brewing, Partial, Kit and Kilo, all very good stuff. I decided to make my first brew a partial. I am very fond of a Newcastle Brown Ale and decided this is what I wanted to make. Got lots of very good advice from my LHBS (learnt that on the web), bought what I needed. As I found a few different Recipes for Newcy I sought of combined a few to get what I thought would be a good result. After Brewing and Bottling and Waiting (now this would have to have been the longest month), if it wasn't for the surf I would have tried it earlier and probably have been disappointed. Well I wasn't I am (as I type) enjoying the fruits of my labour, I can't believe how good this beer tastes. I would like to thank all the members who have added tips to this forum as they have all been very helpful. Anyway I am going to do another Newcy batch to get the stocks up and then I'll try another type. Any suggestions for an avid Ale drinker???

well done and welcome to the boards.

The sky is the limit really - just have a think about the sorts of beers you like and go from there.

Plenty of good recipes in the DB on the site, or take a look at www.howtobrew.com - John Palmer's brewing bible, has some good recipes in there too.

Depending on where you are in Vic, you might have a local brew club in your area - worth taking a look at for some inspiration.

Cheers,

Brendo

Wont be too long know... Hmm who'll be first Butters or Bribie. :D

Wont be too long know... Hmm who'll be first Butters or Bribie. :D

Quick I'll jump in before they do. :lol: Here is an English special bitter which is bound to please.

Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 9.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 31.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.30 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 42.62 %
1.50 kg Ale - Perle Malt (Bairds) (6.3 EBC) Grain 49.18 %
0.20 kg Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 6.56 %
0.05 kg Carafa I (950.0 EBC) Grain 1.64 %
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
21.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I have one bottle left, it didn't last very long.

Welcome aboard and wlecome to the HB Obsession.... I mean hobby.

Cheers
Gavo.

What do I win? :lol:

Gavo's recipe is a goodun....looks somewhat familiar, Gavo. ;) :lol:

What do I win? :lol:

Gavo's recipe is a goodun....looks somewhat familiar, Gavo. ;) :lol:

Yes it was quite enjoyable, wouldn't mind adding a little carared in the future to give a little different color and up the bitterness a little. :icon_drool2: Would that be too far out of style?

Cheers
Gavo.

Quick I'll jump in before they do. :lol: Here is an English special bitter which is bound to please.

Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 9.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 31.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.30 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 42.62 %
1.50 kg Ale - Perle Malt (Bairds) (6.3 EBC) Grain 49.18 %
0.20 kg Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 6.56 %
0.05 kg Carafa I (950.0 EBC) Grain 1.64 %
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
21.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I have one bottle left, it didn't last very long.

Welcome aboard and wlecome to the HB Obsession.... I mean hobby.

Cheers
Gavo.

Cheers Gavo this has gone into MY newly created recipe DB. I intend to give this a go in two weeks, will publish the outcome. I can see how my new Hobby will probably become my new obsession. It's a pity my missus doesn't drink, she's missing out on some good beer.

Yes it was quite enjoyable, wouldn't mind adding a little carared in the future to give a little different color and up the bitterness a little. :icon_drool2: Would that be too far out of style?
Ooooh.... don't up the bitterness on butters! Ah, what the hell, I don't think I've read one of his lectures on balance today yet! :lol:

Cheers
Gavo.

Style schmyle. If it tastes good....
Actually, it wouldn't really knock it out of style, per se......Bitters often have a copper tinge to them.

Funny stuff, Dan. You're a funny man :rolleyes:
:lol:
this one is actually low enough in bitterness, and malt driven enough because of the caraaroma, that it could be hopped up a bit without disturbing the balance...it's only 0.62BUGU atm...just don't go too far with it. ;)

Glad you like the look of it, I don't believe you will be disappointed. And as for the missus not drinking.. well all the more for you.

Well I am thinking only 27 - 28 IBU instead of the 25 that it was. Just want a little more bitterness hit. Would easily do it as is again It is a good all round drinker, probably too easy to drink. Just checking my beersmith data, I carbonated it to 2.1 volumes. It pours with a good head and not to fizzy.

That does it I am going to make this as a part of my next order to Ross.

Cheers
Gavo.

9763 members... :D

I feel old on this forum..

Welcome....

YOU WILL BE CONVERTED... :ph34r:

YOU WILL BE CONVERTED... :ph34r:

Don't think it'll be too hard to bring him all the way to the dark side....theres obviously some evil in him, if he went straight to partials for his first brew. :lol:

Sorry to be rude but batch size 21 boil size 9 is that start off with 21 litres then end up with 19 litres.
Only new to HB AG just wondering as I love pommy bitters.

Sorry to be rude but batch size 21 boil size 9 is that start off with 21 litres then end up with 19 litres.
Only new to HB AG just wondering as I love pommy bitters.

Rude
With an AG beer, you start with a high volume and boil the lot, and by the time you're done, you have a lower volume.
EG on my equipment, I boil 31L of wort for 90 minutes and end up with 23L. So I lose 8L, most of which is to evaporation.

With a partial, it's slightly different. You only boil as much as you need to, ie whatever comes from the grain portion. You then add water and extract to bring it up to volume.

So in the case of gavos recipe, 9L is the size of the boil, thats the amount of wort that would have been made in the mash. That is then added to the fermenter with the extract (or the extract would go into the boil pot, right at the end, just to disolve), and it's then topped up to 21L. Any water that was evaporated out during the boil is actually replace as part of the top up water, anyway....so regardless of the evaporation rate, it gets topped to 21L, which will give the correct dilution.

Hope that clarifies it.

cheers butters couldnt see the trees for the forest

Round of applause for the guy that gets a brew kit and does a partial off the batt. Awesome.

Um, What butter just said. ;) I usually design my grain amounts to suit the 9 lt boil. In other words I can easily do partials with a 9 liter boil so I add enough grain to reach a pre-boil gravity close to my OG and top up the rest with LDME which is added at the end of the boil. This is what makes a partial so easy.

I think Butters is right, as I feel the dark side is in Feral. :lol:

Cheers
Gavo.

Latest posts

Back