How go you make a zero alcohol APA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your all forgetting the isomerisation of the alpha acids in the heating to remove the alcohol.
I did one ages ago at work as a trial batch. I believe it was 1035 og and 32 Ibu not fermented and pasteurised to kill off anything that would be in it. Personally I'd go that way and force carb it. Tasted way better than most of the no alcohol ones

Hi Barls,

Sorry dumb question time -
Do you mean that you had a OG 1035 brew with 32 IBU that you then fermented and then force carbed ? Or did you not ferment?
How did you pasteurise the brew?

I've brewed 2% APAs that were great, just mash really high and use a buttload of crystal malts etc.

As far as alc free, I bet a 50L keg would be strong enough to hold a vacuum. Get it set up with a refrigeration vaccuum pump or similar and you could really get something working.

New_guy said:
Hi Barls,

Sorry dumb question time -
Do you mean that you had a OG 1035 brew with 32 IBU that you then fermented and then force carbed ? Or did you not ferment?
How did you pasteurise the brew?
not fermented at all. At no time did yeast be involved.
Being it was a test batch it wasn't carbed. It was put through the pasteuriser at my former work

Cube said:
Birell is brewed with a yeast strain that dosen't spit out alcohol as a by-product of chewing through the sugars
Not quite right from what I read.
The Birell yeast won't eat Maltose.

From: http://www.beerandbrewer.com/_blog/Magazine/post/Homebrewer_Low_down_on_Low_Beers/

[SIZE=11.5pt]Coopers is the only brewery in Australia using this technique in its product called Birrell. They use a special yeast that was developed over 30 years ago in Switzerland which Coopers licence from the Danish Carlsberg brewery. Dr Tim Cooper explains that the ingenious thing about this yeast is that it only ferments three types of sugar; sucrose, fructose and glucose.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]“Those three sugars only represent a smaller proportion of the overall carbohydrate mix that you get from the malting and brewing process,” he said. “The particular yeast is quite clever in the sense that it only ferments those three sugars and doesn’t ferment maltose and maltotriose. Maltose is the main sugar that is derived from malt, so that means we end up with hardly any alcohol.”[/SIZE]

Not quite right from what I read.
The Birell yeast won't eat Maltose.

Cube said:
IIRC, Birell is brewed with a yeast strain that dosen't spit out alcohol as a by-product of chewing through the sugars. I believe there is no post heating process, just brewing as per normal.

I'd love to get my hands on this yeast.
You edited my post to make it a statement. The IIRC is an important factor. Like, IIRC this button will nuke NZ being not quite sure it will. Remove IIRC, NZ WILL be nuked.

Cube said:
You edited my post to make it a statement. The IIRC is an important factor. Like, IIRC this button will nuke NZ being not quite sure it will. Remove IIRC, NZ WILL be nuked.
****. I'm sorry. For me IIRC was not a word so irrelevant to me. I'll endeavour to not slight you in that manner again.

indica86 said:
****. I'm sorry. For me IIRC was not a word so irrelevant to me. I'll endeavour to not slight you in that manner again.
:lol: :beerbang:

I had to click on the notification just to see what beerbang was.
I'd LOL but that's not a word either. :kooi:

peas_and_corn said:
Why do you hate New Zealand?
Never said I did. I was born there. I just live in Australia because, you know, it's better.

:ph34r:

No, better, I said better. Stoopid accent.

Dammit, I said CHIPS MAN CHIPS

Latest posts

Back