How Far Apart Are Your Taps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry to annoy with another q, but im literally holding the drill and hole saw in my hand, prepping the fridge for a new paint job before the perlicks (3) arrive.

Just wondering how far apart is reccommended for taps? Im having 3 on my door which is 63cm wide... The center pilot hole is drilled at 31.5 obviously, but I dont want them too close or too far... Is there any rough guide? I was thinking about 15cm from the centre of each hole, bearing in mind, that will make them about 12cm apart once the taps are actually in...

Your thoughts?

Ta,
Ben

I'd go about 15 cm apart. Can't recall what mine are exactly but they'd be close to that.

15cm apart will be fine

as long as they are spaced OK in the door. You really only need them far enough apart to get clear space for the glass as you usually only pour 1 pint at a time ;)

Can't find a tape at the moment but guessing 110 to 120mm centres. If you are having a drip tray make sure the gap you have keeps them over it.
Nige

See my reply to your other post on the shank size:

I think 150 is too wide. Mark out the distance you think on a piece of paper, form your hand into fists and put them on the dots...
Rest in other topic.

Regards Malted.

Edit: get a drip tray before mounting the taps.

I would simply divide the gap by 4, and drill :)

Your door is 63cm wide? i would place them every 15.85cm.
worked fine on my fridge, and looks symetrical/even no matter which way you look at it.

I think my 4 are about 100mm apart on a door that is about 700mm across. I did this so that I could add a further 2 if I ever wanted. It is works well for me, because there is enough room to comfortably (or drunkenly) operate, but keeps them in a reasonably neat group.

I would simply divide the gap by 3, and drill :)

Your door is 63cm wide? i would place them every 21cm.
worked fine on my fridge, and looks symetrical/even no matter which way you look at it.

Umm, I think you mean divide by four, and have a half measurement either side?

You should measure the drip tray you intend to use, go in 100mm from each end & if you have a minium of 130mm between you tap centres all is good.

TP

From memory these are 150mm apart;

SDC14535.JPG

If I was doing it again Id first check out what drip tray I could get that would comfortably under them then drill the holes to suit. Right now I have to get a drip tray wider than 600 ok ok 450 (which is centreline of tap 1 to tap 4) to catch any drips.

Edit: Beaten by that much... waiting on a recycled photo to upload

Edit 2: icannanoaddup

From memory these are 150mm apart;
Right now I have to get a drip tray wider than 600 (which is centreline of tap 1 to tap 4) to catch any drips.

Go on Bizzier, tell him that would put the hole centres of taps 1 & 4 only 450mm apart...

Nope I said get the drip tray first, nine minutes before your post :p

"That would put the hole centres of taps 1 & 4 only 450mm apart..."

The driptray thing is a very good approach.

The driptray is going to be custom made, so thats not a biggie, but thanks guys, I reckon ill go about 15cm from the centre tap, afterall, I wouldn't fit 4 on this fridge... Not on the door anyway... Then again, it does have room.for 4 kegs, and it has 2 empty side panels haha.

Cheers guys

Ben

Had a look at some other forums

Seems the vogue is 3" as a minimum with 4" being the most common

So that's about 75mm to 100mm

I'm putting a kegorator together and have a 400mm drip tray - so I'll be aiming for 100mm between 4 taps and then a beer engine with its own drip tray

I reckon let the number of kegs, drip tray and aesthetics dictate the spacing

Edit: Cheers

If you have room for 4 kegs than I would put that drill down right now and seriously think this through to the end. If there really is room for 4 I can promise you that you eventually want to have 4 kegs, and if it's just that extra tap for soda water to keep your wife and kids happy. (or to impress your future better half or whatever)

If you have room for 4 kegs than I would put that drill down right now and seriously think this through to the end. If there really is room for 4 I can promise you that you eventually want to have 4 kegs, and if it's just that extra tap for soda water to keep your wife and kids happy. (or to impress your future better half or whatever)

+1

I installed my two taps nicely centred above my drip tray...

I decided when I added a third tap it could go in the middle.

sweet.

Now I've decided to add a third and fourth... ummm... in order to get it all looking nice I now have to make a covering for the old holes and re-align everything.

So, for a 40cm I should've done this

| 50mm O 100mm O 100mm O 100mm O 50 |

Instead I did this

| 100mm O 200mm O 100mm |

which would've given me

| 100mm O 100mm O 100m O 100mm |

when I added a third tap...

still not sure what to do now ;)

I know I could just move the drop tray 50mm either left or right, but right now its nicely centred :-\

At the time I thought I could only get 3 kegs in the fridge... until I woke up in the middle of the night one night with an idea how i could squeeze number 4 in... and keep SWMBO in cider and soda, thus allowing me to get *another* fridge to cold condition kegs in :)

shit... The central hole is drilled, looks like this will remain a 3 tap fridge... I think that should be sufficient...

On second thoughts, if I knew I could fit 4, I may have changed it... Ah well gas goes in THIS fridge... (note I said THOS fridge)

Well, I guess you could now drill five holes, use 4 for kegs and the fifth for one of those CPBF for PET bottles which you could attach permanently. Just make sure you check first what size hole you actually need for that. Or you might be able to squeeze a 9L keg on top of your other kegs and use that for your fifth tap.

Latest posts

Back