How Does Heat Effect Sg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus

#beerbackhome
Reaction score
My brew is sitting at about 38degC and 1.028 sg. What would it be at 24 degC? I have not pitched the yeast yet.

You have your self a session beer.Or what the Belgian's call a table beer.What went wrong ?I would take a sample and drop it to 20c and find out what the SG is.You could boil up some extract and do an addition if you dont want a table beer.
GB

You have your self a session beer.Or what the Belgian's call a table beer.What went wrong ?I would take a sample and drop it to 20c and find out what the SG is.You could boil up some extract and do an addition if you dont want a table beer.
GB
I and still experimenting with what could be described as a tight arse Semi Gain in a bag .i.e 2kg of grain, mashed in a bag in a 10lt pot then sparged in an 8 litre pot, boiled and hopped for an hour then into the fermentor with 1.5kg of light extract. Bit of a suck it and see. Just that it came out a bit low. I think the grain did not mash as well as it could as there seemed to be sweet white stuff in much of the spent grain. As I have not cosely examined spent grain before, I am not sure what it should be like.

I and still experimenting with what could be described as a tight arse Semi Gain in a bag .i.e 2kg of grain, mashed in a bag in a 10lt pot then sparged in an 8 litre pot, boiled and hopped for an hour then into the fermentor with 1.5kg of light extract. Bit of a suck it and see. Just that it came out a bit low. I think the grain did not mash as well as it could as there seemed to be sweet white stuff in much of the spent grain. As I have not cosely examined spent grain before, I am not sure what it should be like.
I think you have lots of extract left in your grain.You need to look at some way of extracting that left over sugar.A simple pouring of hot water over the grains will get you better numbers.
GB

The partials I did used 3kg of liquid extract and 1.5-1.8kg of grain. I would get an OG of around 1050 for 25L.
Just did a quick brew setup in beersmith with 2kg of grain and 1.5kg of liquid extract for 23L and guess what, I got an OG estimate of 1032 at 70% efficiency

You need more extract to get it to the OG you are after

And regarding SG readings at temperatures above/below the hydrometer's calibrated temp... beersmith will calculate the corrected SG for you. I have tested it and it is always spot on.

If you don't have beersmith... well you could always download the 30-day trial version and make up your own little chart for next time

The partials I did used 3kg of liquid extract and 1.5-1.8kg of grain. I would get an OG of around 1050 for 25L.
Just did a quick brew setup in beersmith with 2kg of grain and 1.5kg of liquid extract for 23L and guess what, I got an OG estimate of 1032 at 70% efficiency

You need more extract to get it to the OG you are after
Thanks,

So I am not mashing really badly.

I think I could try more grain if it will fit in.

My brew is sitting at about 38degC and 1.028 sg. What would it be at 24 degC? I have not pitched the yeast yet.

There are conversion tables around that will give you the true SG at 20C taken at various temps. A small free download called Q-brew comes to mind which includes a conversion table.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back