How Do You Take Your Sg Samples?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDizzy

Reaction score
When measuring specific gravity, I usually take a sample out through the tap, but it's hard to clean the tap properly in situ, so I'm worried that bacteria might build up in the tap and get into my beer when I'm bottling.

The other alternative is to open the top and take out a sample with a sanitised glass or something, but then you've opened the brew up to the air.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Which method carries the least risk of infection?

I just take it from the tap. Never had a problem. When I bottle I squirt some iodophor up into the tap and wait a minute or two before proceeding. If you wanted to be very thorough, you could do that after each sample.

i just take mine out of the tap. Less exposure and chance of infection. If your tap is cleaned/sterilised before your brew you should be ok. Its never going to ruin your whole brew

what if you dont use a tap? I got rid of all of mine and just use a syphon for transfers now... makes taking sg readings a bitch though, so never do it unless im transferring as well.

Yep, through the tap and after evey sample I give the tap a squirt with sanitiser.

what if you dont use a tap? I got rid of all of mine and just use a syphon for transfers now... makes taking sg readings a bitch though, so never do it unless im transferring as well.

+1. I've done away with all my taps. I've actually just ordered a 100ml syringe from the local chemist for taking SG samples. Many people on US homebrewing forums use turkey basters, but they seem almost impossible to get hold of here.

With a well sterilised baster/syringe/winetheif you are able to draw off a precise ammount without risk of funking up your taps or introducing anything nasty.

Ive taken over 10 samples from my latest brew (due to constant worry of a stuck ferment!), and not cleaned the tap once. This is going to be a perfect test case for infection via taps !

At 8%, Im hoping the alcohol will make everything OK (and hell Ive said that a few times in the past LOL)

Ive taken over 10 samples from my latest brew (due to constant worry of a stuck ferment!), and not cleaned the tap once. This is going to be a perfect test case for infection via taps !

At 8%, Im hoping the alcohol will make everything OK (and hell Ive said that a few times in the past LOL)

Turkey basters are good if you are using a carboy - Easier to do to. Unbung carboy - spray with sanitiser - suck out sample - re-sanitise and re-bung.

Not so easy if you are using a drum style fermenter and have to take the lid off every time. Still, drill a bigger hole in your lid, shove a rubber stopper in it and all you have to do is take it out for samples. You can get a nice $2 turkey baster at your average asian supermarket, discount shop. Or a sllightly more expensive one at coles/woolies etc. This is what you are looking for

images.jpeg

I just use the tap and spray sanitiser into it before and after the sample

TB

You can get a nice $2 turkey baster at your average asian supermarket, discount shop. Or a sllightly more expensive one at coles/woolies etc. This is what you are looking for

I've not been able to find one anywhere, thatws why I opted for the syringe - plus it adds to the steampunk aesthetic of my brewery. B)

Tap.

Never had a whole brew infection and I don't sanitise the tap until the brew is bottled (in waiting for the next one to go on.)

Germ paranoia seems to be the way but whatever works for you.

I sometimes use a wine thief... basically the same as a turkey baster, I've got a plastice one that I sanitise with ethanol before dipping it into the brew.

I sometimes use a wine thief... basically the same as a turkey baster, I've got a plastice one that I sanitise with ethanol before dipping it into the brew.

I'd love to get a hold of a real glass wine thief for sampling from casks, but they're hard to track down, and probably less functional than a baster/syringe.

Evey time I see a Turkey Baster I cant help thinking about lesbian insemination :lol: :lol:

Back