How Do You Keep Your Waistline In Trim ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I very amateurly (if that's a word) bodybuild to some degree. The best thing you can do is limit your drinking/eating, watch what you eat, drink lots of water, and do stuff.

Watching what you eat means less eggs and bacon, more porridge/real cereals/fruit. Less fast food more lean meats, salad and veg. Less bad fats, more good fats (avocado, olive oil, etc.).

Do stuff means get a gym membership, go there 3 times a week, don't go 2 days in a row. Sit on the bike for 15-20 minutes and push/lift weights. Compound exercises like squats, deadlifts and bench presses are the best for burning energy (and building strength), but make sure you learn how to do them correctly before attempting. Having a gym membership and seeing money deducted from your bank account is usually enough motivation to actually go there and make use of it.

I could crap on for a while but I think I'll stop here and go to sleep.

Weights / resistance work play an important role, you just need some free weights and some plates that can sit in a box out of sight when not in use, not a fancy gym that takes up the kids play room!

I blame my genes, must have something of a pear :lol:

Less time drinking and sitting in front of the computer might help.

Less time drinking and sitting in front of the computer might help.

surely you must be joking....right?
you keep that up and you'll get a bad reputation with this crowd ;)

Who would of thought of getting fitness advice from a beer brewing forum :p

I had a freind that was on a diet. He had to walk a km for every beer he drank :eek:

Thats a lot of walking

Kabooby :)

Just exercise regularly. Walk, cycle, swim. There's no excuse really

I ride to work 3-4 days a week. 24km one way only takes me 50 minutes on average. It takes me 30 mins to make the trip on my motorbike so I'm only taking an extra 20 mins and am all the better for it. My old man's a fat ******* and I swore I'd never be like him. He's had heart bypass, got diabetes, and still sports a massive beer gut.

At 38 I haven't been this fit since I was a teenager.

Also a big factor is to modify your food intake. Just because you have a plate full of food, doesn't mean you need all of it to fill you up. So eat smaller portions. It's tough because I love my food, but you just have to resist those 2nd and 3rd helpings.

I just refuse to buy bigger pants. I am a 32... and I will stay a 32 no matter how big my gut tries to get :D

I have a basic rule : The entrance is bigger than the exit, & that is why people get fat!
Get active, do something, anything to get your heart rate up occasionally.
Sam had some very good yet basic tips. I prefer using my own body weight, so push ups, dips etc.
I also get to lift a bit of weight at work, which seems to help, & I drink stuff all these days.

For diets the best one I have heard is the White diet. Don't eat anything white. Bread, milk, ice cream & so on.
Cheers
Gerard

shearing sheep for 12 straight years kept me trim,now working on a turf farm throwing rolls of turf around all day and alot of walking also helps.

Put laxatives in your secondary maybe? Then you'll lose weight for every beer you drink................:)

Fibre is your friend.

The other guys have covered excercise well, and that's half of it. But really, us modern westerners eat far far more than we need to.

My views on eating (during my more disciplined phases) are to have as much fruit, veggies and whole grains/pulses (ie brown rice, not white rice, barley, lentils etc) as you want, but have HALF of the other stuff - ie half a steak, 1 chicken cordon bleu instead of 2, half a bowl of spag bog etc. That way you still get all the great tastes and all the iron and minerals and stuff you need.

And the less processed stuff (ie bread, pasta) the better.

Cheers,
Wrenny

Put laxatives in your secondary maybe? Then you'll lose weight for every beer you drink................:)

Two questions:
1. Are they natural laxatives as opposed to extracted laxative oils &
2. How does that affect the german purity law?

Hmm, I've been putting on the kilos recently too, and have been wanting to do something about it... but I'm not sure what. Some sort of sport will be good, but I fit under the official AIS category of 'spazzo'. *sigh*

Hmm, I've been putting on the kilos recently too, and have been wanting to do something about it... but I'm not sure what. Some sort of sport will be good, but I fit under the official AIS category of 'spazzo'. *sigh*

I recently lost 70 kilos of unwanted fat.

The wife left me

Now this is a man with a beer gut..

Beer_Gut.jpg

Just exercise regularly. Walk, cycle, swim. There's no excuse really

I ride to work 3-4 days a week. 24km one way only takes me 50 minutes on average. It takes me 30 mins to make the trip on my motorbike so I'm only taking an extra 20 mins and am all the better for it.

I ride to work too - combining exercise and commuting is a great way to keep fit. And a beer after the ride home is an extra incentive!

Going easy on the chips and other fatty/salty snacks when knocking back a few beers also helps a lot.
cheers
HSB

Back