How Do You Do Your Bitter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Do You Do Your Bitter?

• .65 or below....hops are too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• .8...........I like it just how its meant to be

• 1.1 or over.....too much hops is never enough

• Total voters
Afternoon Brewingtons,
Quick report on my so called ruddles type beer and i'd have to say the t&l golden syrup didn't cut the mustard. Next time i'll stick to plain ole dextrose i think.
The golden syrup even at only less than 5% comes out in both the flavour and aroma although its not nasty or anything its not the flavour i was looking for.

So for anyone thinking of going down that track i'd addvise to maybe think twice before using it in such a beer.

The beer wasn't really meant to clone ruddles or anything just get the basic balance and general idea of the beer and I may have come a bit closer than i did if i used maybe london ale 1028 rather than the seasonal london special strain which.
The beer wasn't a failure by any means just a little short of the mark of what it was intended to be.
Will post back after i brew it again with these modifications.

Anyway just thought i'd give a quick mention that maybe golden syrup can be reserved for boiling dumplings in.

Nobody's fault but mine
Jayse

jayse said:
Afternoon Brewingtons,
Quick report on my so called ruddles type beer and i'd have to say the t&l golden syrup didn't cut the mustard. Next time i'll stick to plain ole dextrose i think.
The golden syrup even at only less than 5% comes out in both the flavour and aroma although its not nasty or anything its not the flavour i was looking for.

So for anyone thinking of going down that track i'd addvise to maybe think twice before using it in such a beer.

The beer wasn't really meant to clone ruddles or anything just get the basic balance and general idea of the beer and I may have come a bit closer than i did if i used maybe london ale 1028 rather than the seasonal london special strain which.
The beer wasn't a failure by any means just a little short of the mark of what it was intended to be.
Will post back after i brew it again with these modifications.

Anyway just thought i'd give a quick mention that maybe golden syrup can be reserved for boiling dumplings in.

Nobody's fault but mine
Jayse
[post="115892"][/post]​

Thanks for the update Jayse, I was wondering how it went. Obviously the Lyles syrup is not the way to go, what about glucose syrup instead, have you considered that?

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Thanks for the update Jayse, I was wondering how it went. Obviously the Lyles syrup is not the way to go, what about glucose syrup instead, have you considered that?

Cheers
Andrew
[post="115917"][/post]​

I'am thinking just normal sugar/invert sugar or dextrose will do the trick. From my research on the ruddles though it seems that what ever refined/unrefined sugar they use possibly plays a part in the actuall flavour aswell. Anyway ATM i don't have really much clue as the direction. I'am thinking that possibly a highly attenuative wort and yeast with the right malts my just be all it really needs but in the interest of this subject i'll experiment with some sugar. Most likely just stick with dextrose for the next and try and get the correct flavours from different malts.
haven't had a actuall ruddles for at least 12 months so possibly might grab one and see what springs to mind if anything.

Cheers
Jayse

Latest posts

Back