How Do You Do Your Bitter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Do You Do Your Bitter?

• .65 or below....hops are too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• .8...........I like it just how its meant to be

• 1.1 or over.....too much hops is never enough

• Total voters
cheers TDA,

I got mine from coles tangent. Just tasted this beer which i made with it which is nearing the end of fermentation and iam not 100% sure if i even got close to ruddles this time. Will post back later on that front. It was never intended to actually clone ruddles though being I used a fullers yeast strain and all EKG plugs.
I only used 5% lyles but at the moment i'd say this is the dominating flavour.

Anyway looking forward to any tips on ruddles and having another bash.

All my love
Jayse

I'm not sure that using Lyle's inverted syrup is what the brewery would use.

Just coz it says 'inverted ' on the label doesn't mean you should be putting something that looks and tastes like golden syrup in your beer!

What if you inverted your own sugar?

tdh

p.s. not too keen on all your love Jayse, but a hug is always nice :huh:

pp.s. had the Goldrush yet?

jayse said:
cheers TDA,

I got mine from coles tangent. Just tasted this beer which i made with it which is nearing the end of fermentation and iam not 100% sure if i even got close to ruddles this time. Will post back later on that front. It was never intended to actually clone ruddles though being I used a fullers yeast strain and all EKG plugs.

Anyway looking forward to any tips on ruddles and having another bash.

All my love
Jayse
[post="97124"][/post]​

One of my favourite bottled beers too Jayse - Recommended it a few times as one of the best examples of an English bitter.. If you get any info, I'd be keen as well...

Not sure of its accuracy - but I've used this reference table for most of the pommie ales I've made, has the Ruddles brews as well - http://www.homebrewing.org.uk/beer/uk-home...te/zymurgy3.txt

cheers Ross

I had the same mindset TDH, i didn't think the lyles was exactly what they used but decided i'd go ahead and make a beer with it anyway and see for myself what its all about. The beer will be drinkable if nothing else, well i hope anyway.

All my love is a led zeppelin song, there are some staff members at grumpys i'd be quite happy to come out and give hugs too but i think it will take a few beers before i go hugging you brewshop and brewery boys. :lol:

Yeap had the goldrush one sunday recently, i'll be out to have one when your there before it runs out.

I have come across that list before ross, it is quite impressive.
Thats the recipe andrew posted above, its the 11% syrup part which according to another recipe is part mollases part something else, anyway thats the part iam after info on.

another zeppelin song quite fitting to AHB>>>>Poor tom
Jayse

warrenlw63 said:
Jayse.

The syrup would most likely be Lyle's Inverters syrup. Fairly freely available from the bigger supermarkets. :unsure:

Warren -
[post="94708"][/post]​
And make sure you use Tate & Lyle, not CSR

To answer the question, probably anything from about .8 to 1. Wyvern (that picked up a second in English Bitters at VicBrew) calculates as 1.

Bitter is a broad style - there are and always should be versions all along the spectrum from the tasteless stuff that has barely seen a hop from South Wales, to mighty bitterness of Joseph Holts on a good day.

Hey sean do you have anything constructive to add re the T&L and its use in a bitter?

Misty mountain hop
Jayse

jayse said:
cheers TDA,
[post="97124"][/post]​

Jayse.

I've used Lyle's a few times. The flavour is barely detectable in the finished beer. The flavour I'd describe it as giving is very slightly buttery. Suppose it could be mistaken as being a bit like diacetyl.

Warren -

Just had another small sample and its pretty well finsihed and clearing up, Didn't noticed any real obivious taste that i would say comes from the T&L's. So looking forward to kegging it in a couple weeks and throughly enjoying it, although being a fullers strain (wyeast 1768) its almost ready to keg now, one week from grain to brain. :chug:

So all is looking great.

Cheers Jayse

jayse said:
Anyway heres to bitter, i have a few more bitter questions for you all but that can wait, got some pints to down first. :chug: :chug:

Jayse
[post="49581"][/post]​

That was quite a few pints Jayse 9 months worth :D

Yes it has been quite a few pints between the start of this thread, ask one of my sisters in law and she'll tell you i have been nothing but a drunk ******* my whole life so the last 9 months has been nothing new. :lol:

This year i have brewed more bitters than anything else and i forsee next year being very much the same.

Out on the tiles
Jayse

jayse said:
Hey sean do you have anything constructive to add re the T&L and its use in a bitter?

Misty mountain hop
Jayse
[post="97235"][/post]​
I've used it more in milds and strong English beers more than bitters. Used in moderation it adds very little flavour.

Jayse, have you checked out the T&L site, little bit of info: T&L2
Edit link

Thanx sean,
Andrew that link isn't working for me, just doing a bit of googling to find it but haven't come up with their site yet, found plenty on the product though.

Bonzo's montreux
Jayse

jayse said:
Thanx sean,
Andrew that link isn't working for me, just doing a bit of googling to find it but haven't come up with their site yet, found plenty on the product though.

Bonzo's montreux
Jayse
[post="97428"][/post]​

Sorry Jayse try this T&L2

cheers andrew,
being only a couple minutes to midnite and a few beers under my belt i'll have to wait till morning to read it proberly.

What i saw that nite was real and not just fantasy.
Jayse

Hi people
I have just read this thread. I recently made the my first purchase of Ruddles County and am now keen to brew this beer. Has any one brewed it since the last post and how did it turn out?. Any information would be very much appreciated.
Cheers Altstart

Ruddles is definately a favourite of mine, even after its long travel from mother england. i think your main hurdle for cloning Ruddles will be finding the Bramling Cross hops. I have talked to Ross about them before, maybe with his new venture he might have some helpful news. Good luck.
Ps. there is threads on here with attempted recipe's from memory.

Back