How Do People Sterilize Stir Bars For Stir Plates?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
Am making some starters using Cooper P.A and was wondering how people sterilize their stir bars.The stir plate was one built by Michael Burton so dont know the boiling resistance of the bars if that makes sense???Am sanitising it now and thought i would drop it in after i turn the stove off after boiling the DME.

Any ideas about this one?

cheers Gents and Ladies

Am making some starters using Cooper P.A and was wondering how people sterilize their stir bars.The stir plate was one built by Michael Burton so dont know the boiling resistance of the bars if that makes sense???Am sanitising it now and thought i would drop it in after i turn the stove off after boiling the DME.

Any ideas about this one?

cheers Gents and Ladies

I put mine in the flask while im boiling the wort. My stir bar is teflon so I didnt see any harm...

Boiling is how everyone else would be doing it I suspect. Why would you want to add them after the boil would be the only question that comes to mind.

Cheers

Roller

i add mine after i spray it with starsan as i dont boil in the flask.

Boiling is how everyone else would be doing it I suspect. Why would you want to add them after the boil would be the only question that comes to mind.

Cheers

Roller

As i dont know how heat/boil proof the bars are.Will have to eMail the maker to find out the specs of said stir bars.thanks for the reply.

i add mine after i spray it with starsan as i dont boil in the flask.
Thanks Barls need to put those testtubes to good use next.My brewery will arrive this week fingers crossed so will start to buy fresh yeast real soon.

I value my Erlenmeyers too much to risk breaking them on a hot plate so soak in a bleach solution saved from the last fermenter sterilising. Stir bars go into the Erlenmeyers. Both are rinsed after an hour & sanitised with phos.

TP

not a problem mate, i know mine are teflon coated but i still do it.
good to hear you are using the tubes.

boil it in the flask, if the wort is relatively sanitary then the stirbar ought to be too.

Just rub it over with an alcohol wipe. Ezzy peezy.

Cheers, Hoges.

Thanks all. lots of different ideas to work with now to go and knock the tops off a couple of Pale Ales ,flame bottle lip,pour and recover yeast.oh and drink the beer.

This is a link to the place where i got my flasks very cheaply.Delivery took sometime as they where waiting on backorder of my 2lt flask.they ended up posting the rest of the order and the 2lt when it came in a week later .one lot of postage/Courier paid $9.00 from memory Ballarat to Melbourne.

http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalogue/108...17-borosilicate

Wiltronics is where I got my flasks from also. They are cheap and seem to work ok. First thing I did was to boil wort in it on the gas stove, then dunk it straight in ice water, then boil again and dunk it in ice again. No breaks, I'm happy :D

I put mine in the flask and boil. Beware of boiling and then adding them into the boiling temp wort, it can gush out and burn your hand.

I boil as well, and to add to what Josh is saying... don't wait till the last 5mins to throw in the yeast nutrient either <_<

If you boil the bar in the flask, yiu get the added benefit of the bar acting as nucleation points for the boil, which really helps with getting a smooth boil thats less likely to volcano out the top of your flask.

I put a stir bar in even when i dont plan to stir - just to make boiling easier.

I autoclave the lot- bar in flask full of wort. That said, I'm fairly sure that after a fair few cycles, mine is starting to loose its magnetism a little...

I store my bars on rare earth magnets stuck to the fridge - so they always get a "re-charge" between uses anyway.

I wish I had an autoclave big enough for my 5L Erlenmeyer...

Latest posts

Back