How Do People Sterilize Stir Bars For Stir Plates?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had an autoclave big enough for my 5L Erlenmeyer...

:icon_offtopic:
I wish I could afford a 5 litre Erlenmeyer :( but in the meantime my 4.5 litre (more or less) vintage lolly jar from the old Burleigh Heads Cinema cafe (Wife's rellies) goes like a house on fire.
DSC00292.JPG
Good tip re keeping the stirbars on rare earth magnets thirsty.

TP

Edit --- Just pointing out that any autoclavable vessel with a narrow neck & relatively flat bottom will be good on a stirplate.

Its unanimous, boiling wort, add your stirbar early before the boil, dont wait for the boil before adding nutrients. Store your stirbar on the rare eaths you dont use.. easy peesy.

And dont forget to use one of those rare earths to extract your stirbar before dumping into the fermenter.

was wondering how you got the stir bar out/kept it from going into the fermenter.
so this poses the question where do you get the rare earth magnets from?

+1 for all the posts it has made joining the forum all the more beneficial to me and my brewing.

got a reply to the email from the maker of the stir plate,not rare earth magnet but the coating on the magnet is fine with temperatures used for autoclave and boiling.

still to put the 23lt pressure cooker to work.the 2lt flask fits in quite nicely though.

any magnet will retrieve the stirbar from the flask. Rare earths are available ebay, jaycar etc. Cheapo ones via ebay/hong kong are as good but a 4 pack of rare earths at Jaycar cost me $9.95, it was hardly worth faarking around with the online stuff,.

was wondering how you got the stir bar out/kept it from going into the fermenter.

$5 or so from Jaycar a few years ago. Has multiple uses around the brewery. Slide one (or both of them) under the stirbar & slip it up the side & out.
Said it before & I'll say it again. Best $5 I've ever spent. :super:
Rattler_Magnets.JPG

TP

------------- To late! Haysie beat me to it. :beer:

Edit -- Have even seen them used as stir bars but never tried it myself ___ yet.

Just rub it over with an alcohol wipe. Ezzy peezy.

Cheers, Hoges.

+1

As for some of the others: Why would you autoclave them?! What nasties are you trying to kill? Seriously, is your brewery in the sewer?

:)

+1

As for some of the others: Why would you autoclave them?! What nasties are you trying to kill? Seriously, is your brewery in the sewer?

:)

Because they have the equipment at hand. Overkill but why not.

Why would you autoclave them?! What nasties are you trying to kill? Seriously, is your brewery in the sewer?

Probably for the same reason that you autoclave (or as near as possible by pressure cooker or hard-boiling for 30 minutes or so) the tubes you store your yeasts in before adding to your starter.
I knock my tubes over in a pressure cooker but tend to get lazy when I do my starters (see Post 7 of this thread)
Not saying this is the ultimate method but it works for me. :)

TP

Why would you autoclave them?! What nasties are you trying to kill?
Every nasty. Was that a trick question?

I'm also a big fan of autoclaving using a pressure cooker - its such an easy way of sterilizing - load it up, boil away for 15 mins and you are done. Any traces of dirt, yeast residue, mark, stain, etc comes out dead.

Sorry all, it just seemed like a little overkill when stirbars should be pretty clean anyway and a soak in oxonia or a wipe down with a Liv-Wipe will do the trick...

mine just gets boiled in the flask... although i dropped and broke my 2L Erlenmeyer flask in the sink after pitching last time. :( so now i'll have to make use of a V8 bottle.

Come to think of it, my stir bar very rarely sees the outside of the flask. I usually just attach it to the side wall of my flask with a rare earth magnet while I'm pitching the yeast. Then I clean the flask and stir bar at the same time with some napisan. Rinse then re-use.

got magnets today from jayco the guy at radio spares on spencer st just looked at me like you want wot!

Had to go to the chemist tonight for my son and was talking to the chemist about yeast culturing which he was really getting off on as i was asking about using alcohol to sterilize/clean before using flame.He said i should use 90%alc and that he could order it in for $50 for 2lt .its a little more than i need but handy to know that it can be brought.

the coopers recultures are going great guns and the amount of yeast has increased no end.

how many days should i let it ferment out before getting into the fridge as i hopefully will brew next week all being good?

between the 2 flasks there is 600ml of wort so will need to step it up again before pitching doing a 2 lt starter.

Back