How Do I Culture Yeast From A Fermented Wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl

Reaction score
Hi,
After putting down 2 partials, I put down my first full mash yesterday, which was a Wheat beer.

Ingredients as follows:

2.5kg Pale malt
2.5kg Wheat malt
15g Perle Hops 60mins
15g Tettnanger Hops 60mins
10g Tettnanger Hops 10mins
IBU 15
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephaner Wheat Yeast, Fermenting at 19deg.

Basically, the Yeast was half the total cost of the brew. As I plan to brew many wheat beers, I would like to culture some of the yeast to use as a starter for my next brew. I have been told that if you leave about a litre of beer in the wort after fermentation is complete, and mix it with the yeast cake, you can then bottle an cap it to use with a starter when required.
My question is at what temperature should I store it at once bottled and how long will it stay viable for? Also, once I have made a starter out of DME and water, do I add this mixture to it as you would with dried yeast?
Sorry if I have confused matters but I don't want to spend $15 on liquid yeast if I can culture my own. Any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks
BJL

Here's a link you should read.
I believe its a sticky in the forum somewhere.

Chillers post

You can split the yeast before you pitch it.
That would save you the trouble of washing the yeast.

Good luck

Here's a link you should read.
I believe its a sticky in the forum somewhere.

Chillers post

You can split the yeast before you pitch it.
That would save you the trouble of washing the yeast.

Good luck

Thanks for the link matti, I should have done a search before I posted :p . Looks like I've got plenty more reading to do :blink:

BJL

Back