How Dark To Roast The Barley

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRusty

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a repost, but couldn't find it on a search.

I'm a fairly new extract brewer. Getting ready to brew a version of the Coopers Stout Clone in the recipe DB. It calls for roasted barley. My LHBS doesn't sell it, but the dude suggested I buy it from the supermarket and roast it myself. My question is: how much do I roast it? I realise it's an important grain for the roasty flavour of the stout, and the recipe calls for 280grams of it, but at the same time if it was too dark it would taste like ash. Can anyone experienced with using roasted barley in stouts as a speciality grain give me a ball park colour to aim for in the roasting?

Thanks for your help.

DR

Don't really think it is worth the bother of buying and roasting barley from the supermarket. Easy just order some from the Sponsors at top of page should only take a few days and you get barley suitable for steeping with no messing around.

Can anyone experienced with using roasted barley in stouts as a speciality grain give me a ball park colour to aim for in the roasting?
Black. It tastes like ash.

I think you can purchase black barley from some specialty food stores, its used as a coffee replacement. Here's a quick guide from google on roasting your own.

I am with tropical brews, order it online or at least find another homebrew store.

Thanks guys. After reading felton's link and seeing that roasting your own barley requires a smoke filled house for about an hour and a half, and even then the result is inconsistent, i'll take Tropical's advice and order online this time.

Cheers,

DR

Latest posts

Back