How Big Is You Mash Tun? (research For Uni Assignment)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you set up a surveymonkey link get people to answer questions. Then you can control the Q&A and make it statistical useful

5 eyes

Research FRP - Fibre Reinforced Plastics. Polyester and Vinylester resins. The embodied energy in a typical FRP product compared to more traditional methonds of manufacturing is fractional. It's also inert - so won't pollute water courses like, say waste PVC would.

Cheers for that. Hopefully i can find some super eco friendly plant based polymer to satisfy my lecturer

Why don't you set up a surveymonkey link get people to answer questions. Then you can control the Q&A and make it statistical useful

5 eyes

I probably wont have to. All I really need to know is the tallest vessel commonly used (Keggles) and the height of the more commonly used BIAB vessels. This is all to determine the approx length of handle needed for mashing.

50l keg with a built in thermonter and and automated mash paddles did the first brew with it sat worked great

Research FRP - Fibre Reinforced Plastics. Polyester and Vinylester resins. The embodied energy in a typical FRP product compared to more traditional methonds of manufacturing is fractional. It's also inert - so won't pollute water courses like, say waste PVC would.

Have you tasted the water out of a new fiberglass tank it does leave a reseduie that needs to be steamed out of it

It all depends on the compound and if the product is moulded, the releasing agent used as they leave residues.

Had a thought over dinner - the particle size shouldn't be an issue if they are dried and ground as that's what happens with wood fibres. I did some really interesting development work on this in the late 90's with Queens University in Belfast and their polymer research division. I've no idea who would be the go-to folk in Australia.

I use a 120l esky. I did have a cubic shaped one, but have gone to a rectangular icey cool 120l this week. Haven't kitted it out yet, but it will be buff when it's finished.

Dimensions on the iceytek site.
Ditto but it's 100L. making a false bottom out of soem different SS materials. Might post the build when done.

70lt stockpot 450mmX450mm

50L stockpot pretty sure its 400 x 400 from memory.

And a shedload of big double ewe 19L stockpots.

I BIAB in a 98L pot (50x50cm)

And I use a 65cm SS potato masher
600x600-1_1022575.jpg

A mash paddle is not actually the best masher for a BIABer

19l Big W stockpot, covered in towels and sleeping bags. Lautering is Charlie P's bucket in a bucket.
I may upgrade to a cylindrical esky with ball valve and ss false bottom when I finish my studies, fingers crossed!

600x600-1_1022575.jpg

600x600-1_1022575.jpg

This was one oof the issues I wanted to address

The mash tun in my HERMS setup is 20 gallons (75L).

Nah - just kidding.

19L. :D

direct fired 98 litre stainless steel, 500mm x 500mm, 5.5mm sandwiched aluminium base

IMG_2540b.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

60L aluminium stock pot with a false bottom.

Great for double batches, have yet to try a single in it, and I would imagine enough room for a triple.

Cheers

60L aluminium stock pot with a false bottom.

Great for double batches, have yet to try a single in it, and I would imagine enough room for a triple.

Cheers

10 gallon igloo. Tastes like lemonade, cherry, grape...

50L converted keg.

What degree are you doing? Industrial Design?
If I give you a chunk of help can you split the degree with me?
It'd look good alongside my Architecture one and my Psychology Grad Dip ;-)

I have a degree in Industrial Design Yippie - will split it with you for some beer ;)

Latest posts

Back