How Are Your Hops Doing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted a Hallertau last week and it didn't seem to be getting enough sun so i moved it today but is showing signs of growth

i planted mine about 50% under soil basicly so any sprouts on them had a chance to get soem sun, seems to haev worked

Havent even thought about planting mine yet, still far too cold and dark in tassie :p

think i might pot in the next few weeks and get them in the sunroom where its nice and warm and obviously sunny.

or would i be better to plant directly into the ground so i dont have to go to the hassle of transplanting them a month later?

hey guys I want to get some hops planted... what would be best suited to growing in sydney?

Had one rhizome planted but reading this thread, planted in the wrong spot and too deep so I dug it up and planted it horozontily in a pot and put it in the greenhouse to start it off. It has a few wee shoots on it.

No sign of mine yet. Have been in for a month or so. Might be a little too deep in the soil - think I put it around 5cm under. Not really concerned yet as the rest of the 'garden' is in a similar mode. Bit of warmth wouldn't go astray.

Just planted mine

When I unwrapped it had shoots about 2" long on either side of rhizome

I though the fridge would have been cold enough to stop growth but obviously not

Anyway it's showing life

So I'll see how long it takes to make it out of the ground

Cheers

Hi All...

Was wondering where you got you hops from and if anyone can suggest somewhere around Western Sydney. I had heard that the place to go was a supplier in TAS (Stuart Ferguson - [email protected]), but have also read that he hasn't been answering emails recently.

I also was wondering what type of hops would be best grown in Sydney.

Stuart has retired from Hop production. This is an email I received recently.
I hope it helps.
Boston

Hello again Growers and Brewers

I still have a few Pride of Ringwood rhizomes left for sale.

Price is $25 each or 5 for $100

cheers

Sandy Ross

Managing Director

Hopco Pty Ltd

PO Box 201

Lindisfarne 7015

Phone 03 6243 5960

Fax 03 6243 5397

Mobile 0403 005 248

Email: [email protected]

Just planted mine

When I unwrapped it had shoots about 2" long on either side of rhizome

I though the fridge would have been cold enough to stop growth but obviously not

Anyway it's showing life

So I'll see how long it takes to make it out of the ground

Cheers

Yeh, same deal with mine. They went in the ground today ;)

Now the waiting game. :p

Hello again Growers and Brewers

I still have a few Pride of Ringwood rhizomes left for sale.

Price is $25 each or 5 for $100

Email: [email protected]

I sent off an email to see if I could get any rhizomes and got one back saying they are now sold out. If anyone knows another supplier (without paying the big bucks that they are going for on ebay at the moment) I would love to hear about them.

I think we have to learn how to divide/chop up rhizomes at the end of the season so we can then swap amoungst one another for different varieties. It would be good to have two or three different types.
What do others think

I think we have to learn how to divide/chop up rhizomes at the end of the season so we can then swap amoungst one another for different varieties. It would be good to have two or three different types.
What do others think

Definately.

I think that was the idea of the Rhizome register created recently on a wiki. It's not just to show off how many hops you've got.

Cheers,
Wrenny

What do others think
I have a couple of photos as a PDF in this thread at the end #15. It is not too late to divide rhizomes now, if they have been in the ground lomger than one season, there should be plenty that can be separated. Don't be afraid to chop it in half with a tomahawk or shovel.

Definately.

I think that was the idea of the Rhizome register created recently on a wiki. It's not just to show off how many hops you've got.

Cheers,
Wrenny

Ok, I didnt know about the register, thanks

My hops have sprung, but am not sure if I planted them with the buds up. Am getting brown spidery roots, sprouting out, not green shoots coming up :huh: !

Will gently dig one up tonight to see if I'm growing hops to china! Might have to re-plant them horizontally like you guys!

Hopper.

My hops have sprung, but am not sure if I planted them with the buds up. Am getting brown spidery roots, sprouting out, not green shoots coming up :huh: !

Will gently dig one up tonight to see if I'm growing hops to china! Might have to re-plant them horizontally like you guys!

Hopper.

Nope, all are shooting out - had to replant one horizontally (that was upside down I think) but all looking good and healthy. Fresh hops here we come! :super:

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back