How Are Your Hops Doing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rh1an5

Reaction score
Just checking in to see how others are going with their new hops. I planted my 3 (por, goldings, Columbus) about a month ago.

So far im seeing great results on my POR, new shoots, hell even leaves on it. THe other 2 seem to be struggling a little bot more, they were smaller rhizomes thought.

So how are your doing?

Got one shoot coming off a Chinook , the rest are not even showing yet but its still cold in Perth.I will have to wait for the warmer wheather I think.
GB

I haven't put mine in the ground yet

I'm intending to put it into a large pot very soon (currently sitting in the fridge)

What sort of soil preparation do I need to do?

I've got no idea about plants

Cheers

I have a Tettnang rhizome which was planted last year. It's had small sprouts sticking up since early this month! I figure it's way too early for shoots to be appearing, but I don't really want to cut them back.

Benniee

i got shoots off my vienna gold (here's hoping i actually like it :p) still waiting on the chinnok to kick in but yeah, cold cold atm...

Still too early really, and different varieties will appear at different times.
I had a poke around under the mulch to see what was going on (was paranoid some had gotten waterlogged with all the rain) but all was good, lots of little shoots underneath waiting for things to warm up. Its no matter if a few show up early, just let 'em do their thing.

No sign of my last years plantings of Tettnang or Goldings, they grew fairly well last year, so expect them to go off this year!

This years planting of new POR and Chinook rhizomes, I dont expect to see until the weather really warms up here on the Bellarine, frost this morning!

i have nothing from any of my rhizomes :( but its still freezing in adelaide

I have 6 going ( POR,Chinook, Tett, Victoria , Goldings and Columbus )
All are shooting with 4 out of the 6 of them having multiple leaves already - all are in pots at this stage )

Hey. I want to get into growing my own hops. I need to source some in tasmania. To my knowledge you take the leaves and boil them with some other ingrediants then put it as you would wort into the fermenter with yeast and sugar etc?

Thanks.

hi josh
the leaves are not what you want its the cones or flowers that have to goodness

Ok yea thanks mate. I sort of just learnt that on ebay. They come as a root of a plant looking thing. I assume this is what they call Rhizomes? Do the keep producing, or is one harvest its life? How many kg's would you get a season/plant?

here is a question might sound a bit stupid, are you ment to plant the whole rhizome under ground my rhizomes have shoots on them but i planted the whole thing under ground only a few cm tho.

I had my new rhizomes in the fridge in storage for planting towards the end of August but i forgot they were in there and used the fridge for lagering.
10 - 12 degrees allowed them to start growing so i decided i better put them in a pot and keep them inside rather than try and chill them again.

I chucked them in some of those self watering pots and put them inside in the kitchen where its always warm.
my POR and Victoria have sprouted about 2 inches and stopped..
i'm guessing they are building up there root system as the rhizomes were small...

On the other Hand, my large Cluster rhizome has gone nuts!!!
We have been measuring it daily and its growing at a rate of 2.5 - 3 inches every day. :eek:

It has hit the roof in the kitchen so i have just moved it to a large Pot outside.. (broke the top off it taking it out the door, dammit :( )
As soon as i get a chance i will transplant it into the ground as i need to prepare the soil and area for it.

Sqyre...

You guys with the shoots coming out must be getting the warm weather.

Has been darn cold in Melbourne and have been getting light frost on the grass where I am. Have planted two goldings and one columbus and nothing shooting yet (is in a sunny spot in north facing yard). Not anticipating anything till after august when things warm up here- maybe september, but fingers are crossed. New to the hop planting game so have no idea when the little suckers will take.

Hopper.

I planted mine last week. I have a columbus which has taken off and one that hasnt, a goldings and POR which have sprouts and waiting on a tett to sprout.

POR, Cluster and Chinook rhizomes in the fridge ready for Sep planting. Friends for my 2 year old Wurttemberger and Perle

None of mine have broken the surface yet but with night time temps hovering around 0 at this time of the year i reckon they are still hibernating. Frosts should stop late September.

Latest posts

Back