Hot Water Service As A Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcdaino

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pretty big HLT (about 300-400L) and was wondering if anyone has converted a Hot water service into one?

I think we have gas, but electric would work (obviously). Any thoughts on what would be easier to install and what would be more efficient. I assume gas by a significant amount.

Thanks in advance!

HLT essentially IS a hotwater service.
You thought about a HWOD (instantanious hot water) unit?

I think most of the residential instant hot waters don't go above 55C, correct me if i'm wrong or there is some "service parameters" that allow higher. The industrial ones (i know Crozdog got one from an industrial auction and uses it as a HLT) should go higher than that.

Which is a shame as I wanted one to be able to pump up to 60C momentarily while rinsing glassware in the sink.

Some of the instant ones have a 6 star energy rating, so they are definitely efficient.

I had not. What is it? Where can I find one! :p

Would you be able to fit out a HWS to go above 55C or do they only have enough juice to go that high?

According to the specs on my rinai it goes to 60C then tempering valve takes it down to 50 (55 ahem)

I assume the 60C is because of legionella risk or something in the solar storage tank

It's legal to have the full 60C in a laundry (brewery?)

Anyway my HWS pumps out infinite instantaneous protein rest water and it's solar too :)

(400L stainless tank)

I could be wrong but I was of the understanding that you cxould have hot water over 55 degrees but bathrooms had to be limited to 55.
Surely it would be possible to modify one to work to a higher temperature

All of my hot water taps come out at 65, then unit is set to 70 I think. At my old place I could dial it to 75... I can't imagine living with a HWS at 50 or 55, that's only just warm!

man my old gas unit will get the water hotter than the sun. Previous owners had it set low so tim the tool man taylor in me cranked it right up near burn the **** out of me. Was quickly turned down to a more appropriate level. Not sure what it is in degrees but hot enought to be bloody uncomfortable to stick your hand under with just hot running. Good for washing dishes though ;)

Yeah, needs to be more like 80C for my purposes. 75 min.

Can always heat in gas powered kettle and transfer into a HLT with a small element in it to maintain the temp.

My other half had a house in a new estate and the "instant" gas hot water thing she had was set to 45. May as well run some black polypipe across the backyard cause you'll get hotter water.

Another instant hot water system that I've used was in a commercial kitchen and it did the job fantastically. Pretty sure it was running well above 55. Maybe look for one suited to a commercial kitchen and run it separately to your main hot water for your house?

My old style big gas hot water system sits just below 60 which makes for a good start on a brew day.

Ed

My instant hot water is around 45 degrees. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

i think the whole temp thing on new HWS's is state/council specified...

my 2 year old Bosch instant gas allows me to up to 55 (as i live in an old house allowed to have 55) if it was installed in new residence plumber would by law have to set to max of 50...

after the plumber left and i threw out all of the packaging and the rubbish was taken away.. i read the instructions and realised the little plastic tabs i threw out, which looked useless were 'overclocking inserts'

what i'm trying to say is do your research on HWS the bosch ones come with the ability to be overclocked to run up to 70C or about where real old houses had their temps set...

domestic HWS are now limited to 55 due to OH&S & to reduce scalding

commercial units can go higher. as DJR says, I picked up one on grays online - works a treat - good for fly sparing too

I am running a continuous gas HWS and it fills the tun and HLT at 67* and is only a domestic hw system.. not just for brewing, as in, this is what the downstairs bathroom/brewery room is running...

I assume the short plumbing is helping, its like when you go to a work place that has the little HWS under sink, the water is as hot as fark!

But yes, I fill the MT and HLT with 67* water, HLT has an element and heads off to sparge temp and MT gets an immersion dangled in to get to strike... it all seems to be at temp once the grain is cracked...

maybe thats god or maybe its because siloted is a c∆πt, who knows...

2c

what about a ZiP instant bling water like in offices?

If you're intending it to be inside then gas is out as you need to vent the carbon dioxide+monoxide to the atmosphere where it can melt ice caps and flood third world countries.

As others have posted your outlet (tap) temp is regulated to 55*C by means of thermostatic mixing valve except under certain commercial comditions. Not a major problem as if you are handy with some thread tape and "acorn" fittings you can easily piss it off altogether. Or you could set it to 70ish degrees and bail into your mash tun by pulling on the pressure relief valve handle.

Getting back to your original post are you looking to purchase one specially? Where is it going, i.e. in your new purpose built brewery, replace existing in laundry etc?

you can install a rinnai inside a house it just needs to be an internal unit flued outside which is easily done, have a look at commercial hot water units or instantaneous commercial ones. commercial kitchen hot water supply is about 82C.
from what ive heard you can get a rinnai domestic unit to run at 80 but im not sure how to as ive only put a few in and never really done maintenance on them.

cheers,

Stewart

purchased this few weeks ago haven't tested it fully yet. but on test gave me 100L @ 65C in 20 min. runs on 9kg bottle and uses 2 D cell batteries.
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG

what about a ZiP instant bling water like in offices?

these typically have a smallish (say 5l) tank holding the boiling water. They aren't designed for continuous flow

Latest posts

Back