Hot And Bothered At Mornimgton Peninsula Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
Tony (check the all things chilli thread) was kind enough to send me a small selection of of super hots which I took one look at and promptly hid them somewhere I could not find them and therefore wouldnt have to eat them - Thanks Tony! I found them again so took one of the Bhut Jolokai down to the Mornington Peninsula Brewery to share with anyone who was silly enough to share with me. Took paper towels so I wouldnt ruin their cutting board, took my own very sharp knife and a latex glove. Matt -the owner - became somewhat disturbed when I put the glove on as it was then he realised this was something to be scared of - no not the glove the chilli!! Some would say I wimped out in fact I might say I wimped out because I cut that chilli in half and then cut a slice off that half and then cut that slice up pretty small. No one would go first so I did (took one of the bigger slices which if Tony was there he would have tut tutted in shame of how small it actually was) and immediately it hit my tongue I felt a little sting of heat a burn that began to grow - then I chewed!

Okay it wasnt murderously hot, it was pretty damned hot and also it had lovely fruity mango, passionfruit, nectarine type flavours which made the heat tolerable - kinda. A couple of people at the bar thought they would have a taste and were duly warned by my good self but still tried much to their dismay! One old lady gave it a go - I warned her - she promptly spat the tiny piece into her hand which freaked me out. I told her to get rid of it and wash her hand and not to touch herself - anywhere - for the next couple of hours. At this point my face was on fire as it seemed I had somehow touched myself in several places even though I had been excruciatingly careful not to. Ash the barman had scratched just under his bottom eye and was in pain and wondering if he could just cut away the burning skin so it would stop hurting, Matt was walking around the brewery with his mouth hanging open - I mean really open think Hippo, hoping to drag enough cool air over his tongue so he might stop sweating and barman michael was drinking more coke than was wise - one can open to drink the other fresh out of the fridge to lick! The pommy guy that tried a bit was on his way out but couldnt seem to stop leaning on the bar you could tell he wanted to order another six beers (all for himself) but he was having trouble getting his mouth to work. Three other blokes and two women that gave all it ago and all seemed friendly prior to trying it seemed to take a fairly heated dislike to me afterwards - I dont exactly know why!?

One thing is for sure - beer sales went up dramatically after the chilli taste test. I suggested to Matt that we chop the rest of the chilli's Tony gave me and dip them in choclate and have them on the bar as free snacks - you would sell a shipload of beers!

So thanks to Tony ten people in Mornington have now tried one of the hottest chilli's in the world and I promise I will man up and try a bigger slice next time - I just dont have any friends left at MPB that want to do it with me!

Man v Food.

Sounds like Food won! :p

Maybe you could do something with the rest and bring down to MBP when they launch the IPA? I'd be in that. :D

i just pissed myself laughing...so does that mean a habanero is a little mild?

Bhut Jolokias are amazingly hot chillies...

At over 1,000,000 Scoville Heat Units, these pups are not to be reckoned with...

For those with a chilli tongue, throw one half into your next pot of spaghetti bolognese... Bloody sensational..

I have 25 seedlings on the grow of a mix of Naga and Bhut Jolokias... More or less the same... However from different parts of India... Also have about 6 Chocolate Bhut seedlings.. Delicious and fruity...

I believe the Bhuts are from Assam State, and the Nagas are from Manipur Nagaland.

Some other notable heat monsters are the 'Trinidad Scorpion', and the 'Trinidad 7 Pod/7 Pot'...

Habaneros pale by comparison... Weighing in at about 350,000 SHU.... Compared to the BJ @ 1,041,000...

Co-coincidently, I just ordered a packed of these online last week....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 7 Pots and the Bhuts growing from seed at the moment. I have both the choc Bhut and the Bhut Jolokias, but the chocs don't seem to have sprouted after a month. The 7 pots are going crazy. They are all about 4cm tall... All the rain in Darwin has slowed the growth I think.

Looking forward to them growing big and strong.

By the way what hot chilli sauce have you guys found that is blowing your mind? I have theZakk Wylde's Shot to Hell (Berserker) which is pretty great; I got it from here.

Right on!

TB

Latest posts

Back