Hoses And Pipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olskoolsoulja

Reaction score
HI All,
My Name is Rich Ive been overseas for the last 6 months and when i get back and move into my new house im going to change a few things on my set up.
I have a march pump , HLT , tun and kettle on a frame i also have a heat exchanger but I dont use it much and ill be making hop back . Im looking for ideas on Hoses or pipes, connections etc could you please post some pictures of how you run your plumbing.

Happy new year
Rich

No Pics, but it's pretty simple. Silicone hose, stainless hose barbs and el cheapo Bunnings hose clamps with the big thumb pads. I've been thinking about cam lock or triclover fittings, but it gets exy.

Forget the tri-clovers Mika, they are a complete pain in the ass - you need three hands to get them on, and that's when they are cold.......
The camlocks are good though, but as another option though, I have barrel unions on my brewery at the moment, and they are less than half the price of camlocks, and damned easy to use.
My advice Rich would be to try and keep it as simple as possible and do the type of research you are doing here to find out the best option to you before you fork over the dollars. Fittings can get very expensive, especially if you decide that you want to change them after a short while....(which I have done a couple of times now......)

I've had hoses and fittings on my mind lately too.

Currently I use garden hose quick disconnects.

I'm wondering if john guest fittings for my HLT and tun would work.

regards,
Scott

I've lost something in the translation. My understanding of a barrel union is a threaded coupler for joining threaded pipes... don't understand how that's working as a fitting for you ?? :huh:

I'll find you a pic when I get home Mika (I'm over in nz burying family members atm....:( )

Damn, that's no good. My condolences to you and your family

Hey, death's part of life and at 87 she had a good run. Just a shame Nana can't be around for the party......She always was better at drinking whisky than I was.....
So a few more in the old girl's honour and then I'm hitting the hay before my family goes pear shaped like they usually do.....:D

HI All,
My Name is Rich Ive been overseas for the last 6 months and when i get back and move into my new house im going to change a few things on my set up.
I have a march pump , HLT , tun and kettle on a frame i also have a heat exchanger but I dont use it much and ill be making hop back . Im looking for ideas on Hoses or pipes, connections etc could you please post some pictures of how you run your plumbing.

Happy new year
Rich

To save you a search and lots of reading posts, I've tried all, and two hoses that work best are 1. Silicone hose available from the site sponsors at the top of this page. and 2. 12mm Reinforced Petrol/food Safe Hose from Clark Rubber.

For fittings: 3/4"M x 1/2" Hose Barb fittings secured using bunnings clamps with the coloured (yellow) wing nuts are good. My preference is the (Neta Screw Hose Connector 12mm - 9 314212 016072). These work and seal well with the (Neta 12mm Brass Hose Fitting 3/4"M Sprinkler Adaptor - 9 314212 030061) brass quick connect fitting, these require a 1/2"M x 3/4"F socket to screw into. Other brass quick connect types with a screw on ring and plastic clamp are hopeless, especially with hot wort.

Screwy

To save you a search and lots of reading posts, I've tried all, and the only two hoses that work are 1. Silicone hose available from the site sponsors at the top of this page. and 2. 12mm Reinforced Petrol/food Safe Hose from Clark Rubber.
Screwy

Damn shame about that Screwy, guess I'll be throwing a whole heap of hose out seeing as it doesn't work......apparently... :blink:

To save you a search and lots of reading posts, I've tried all, and the only two hoses that work are 1. Silicone hose available from the site sponsors at the top of this page. and 2. 12mm Reinforced Petrol/food Safe Hose from Clark Rubber.

For fittings: 3/4"M x 1/2" Hose Barb fittings secured using bunnings clamps with the coloured (yellow) wing nuts are good. My preference is the (Neta Screw Hose Connector 12mm - 9 314212 016072). These work and seal well with the (Neta 12mm Brass Hose Fitting 3/4"M Sprinkler Adaptor - 9 314212 030061) brass quick connect fitting, these require a 1/2"M x 3/4"F socket to screw into. Other brass quick connect types with a screw on ring and plastic clamp are hopeless, especially with hot wort.

Screwy
Thanks Guys , this is what i have now I might up date to silicone hose and clean it all up a bit with some pipe and taps

I was just looking though the gallery and notice a few people had there pumps mounted at the bottom of the frame .does this make the pump work better I did have some trouble with mine not flowing??

Cheers
Rich

They're still a pain to prime, or at least can be. Been a bit of discussion on the subject in the past. Don't think the ultimate solution has been found though.

Damn shame about that Screwy, guess I'll be throwing a whole heap of hose out seeing as it doesn't work......apparently... :blink:

Sorry if what I had to say upset you Domonsura, might have been a bit OT.

Have rearranged my choice of words:

To save you a search and lots of reading posts, I've tried all, and two hoses that work best are 1. Silicone hose available from the site sponsors at the top of this page. and 2. 12mm Reinforced Petrol/food Safe Hose from Clark Rubber

Simply providing a brother brewer with some info from experience. So what type of hose do you use? If you use something which you consider better and less expensive let us know, always happy to learn, have wasted a lot of dollars learning here. I find the Bunnings fittings good and simple to use, and possibly less expensive than the type you suggest above.

Screwy

To save you a search and lots of reading posts, I've tried all, and two hoses that work best are 1. Silicone hose available from the site sponsors at the top of this page. and 2. 12mm Reinforced Petrol/food Safe Hose from Clark Rubber.

Screwy

Ditto to all of the above. I have tried using the SS snaplock fittings on my march pump. Whilst I love SS they can become very hot to handle. Brass is OK if you pickle it, but the Neta gear is cheap and reliable.What i will try down the track is the reinforced hose that Beer Belly has (aka domonsura) provided it fits on to my Neta fittings.

BYB

Ditto to all of the above. I have tried using the SS snaplock fittings on my march pump. Whilst I love SS they can become very hot to handle. Brass is OK if you pickle it, but the Neta gear is cheap and reliable.What i will try down the track is the reinforced hose that Beer Belly has (aka domonsura) provided it fits on to my Neta fittings.

BYB

Possibly the same reinforced hose that I get from Clark Rubber here, they stock two grades, petrol/food which is rated for food and drinking water but not for standing water (long periods), it can withstand high temps. And drinking water which is good for food/drinking water and standing water. When I tried the latter it became so soft at sparge temp that the hose came away from the connectors even though the rings were done up tightly. If Beerbelly stocks the same petrol/food grade reinforced hose I'd be interested to see what he retails it for as Clark Rubber prices here in QLD are up there.

Screwy

Hi,
Whats the best way to make the the "clear hose (glass) look in things" ? , probaly been posts on it before so just head me in the right direction.

cheers

Not exactly sure what youre after but if you mean a sight glass type thing to enable you to see when your wort is running clear during recirculation this is how I made one. It's just a piece of racking tube.

IMG_1517_small.jpg

Whats the best way to make the the "clear hose (glass) look in things" ?

Polycarbonate tubing for lower temps and glass for extreme would be the best as some have posted pics of melted poly on kettles.

Depend where you are as you have no location in your details.
Last time I got some offcuts from this place as it is local for me but not maybe for you.
G&G our sponsor have some racking canes on the web if you want one for racking.

- Luke

quote name='Back Yard Brewer' date='Jan 11 2008, 09:10 AM' post='275976']
Look here Beer Belly Is it similar.

BYB
[/quote]

This is Beerbelly's: helical_hosing_thumb.gif helical wire wound $10.95 M

This is the hose from Clark Rubber: Reinf_Hose1__Small_.JPG Reinf_Hose2__Small_.JPG reinforced food contact, petrol resistant $4.50 M

May be easier to see the wort through the hose from Beerbelly. You can just see the light coloured wort in the hose coming from the kettle valve in the pic above.

Screwy

Back