Hops - What To Use For What Style For Dry Hopping?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuzzy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. Looking to dry hop in secondary before kegging. One of our sponcers is selling hop pellets in 90g packs and I'd like to grab a few packs and have a play. So, as a starting point what type of hops would I use and how many grams for the following (assume 23L in fermentor with 20L into secondary after transfer, in which I'll dry hop):

Largers - Hops and how many Grams?
Pale Ale - Hops and how many Grams?
Amber Ale - Hops and how many Grams?
Dark Ale - Hops and how many Grams?
Wheat - Hops and how many Grams?

Thanks in advance.

Kuzzy

It is hard to say, really. It is possible to make very loose generalisations like "noble hops are good for lagers" but beyond that it depends very much on your recipe. I guess if you know what hops are used for the late hops in your kit you couldn't really go wrong using the same. Amounts depend very much on hop, style and preference.

Now if you're asking what individuals like in their beers you'll get lots of answers right away.

Expect Amarillo in everything.

[EDIT: Oh yeah, if you read the descriptions of the hops at the mentioned sponsor's site you will see that most have a description of their common usage. Obviously this does not dictate which you should use for dry hopping but it may help you out as to style).]

I bought about 6 different hop varieties from Ross about a year ago.
Trial and error is probably the only reliable way to find out which styles you like.
Just used some Galaxy flowers to dry hop a keg and really happy with the outcome.

In another thread somewhere, Pumpy mentions that if you leave dry hops in for more than 5 days (+/- for freshness) you can end up with some grassy flavours.

The best tip i found is to put a couple stainless washers into the hop bag. So you can use a magnet to drag the bag up to the top of the keg/fermenter and pull it out.

Cheers,
Richie

Back