Hops Type For Honey Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlbeer

Reaction score
Hi all, I have currently done my first all grain beer and am looking at doing a honey ale for my second and I am wanting some suggestions as to what hops I should use. I currently have some spare Moteuka and Cascade from my first brew which was the LCBA clone. I have the following grains and honey which I would like to use and will ferment with S05 with a volume of 20L.

1kg Pilsener malt

1kg Vienna malt

2kg Caramalt

1kg Local Wild Honey

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

tl...

that is my next brew too. Basically make the LCBA clone to recipe and draw off 3-4 litres of actively fermenting beer and add honey to it in a demijohn. I don't intend to modify the hopping really.

BTW, there have been discussion that honey doesn't need to be pasteurised
for brewing but have a look at this post: Beez Kneez Clone #12

T.

I'd go for something "floral" to highlight the perfumy nature of the honey. I'd also mash high with all that adjunct - like 69C. And 2kg caramalt? Is that a typo?

HopsWheel.jpg

I'd go for something "floral" to highlight the perfumy nature of the honey. I'd also mash high with all that adjunct - like 69C. And 2kg caramalt? Is that a typo?

HopsWheel.jpg

Retract that 2 kg caramalt - should be 1kg wheat , 1 kg ale malt - caramalt was written on the vac seal bag by the LHBS. (hope they gave me the right bag!) , i am looking to brew something similar to beez neez but am open to suggestions....

I've never tried beez neez (possibly the name put me off because I don't spray Nick JDzzz on the elderly's fences in a vain attempt to place myself in a world that says I am too young to own it) but is it an American Wheat beer? Or a German, or a Belgian?

The last two are all about their yeast. If it's American wheat then US05 is perfect. The other, not so much.

Wheat beers are not heavily hop driven - so any hops will do.

Nick!!!!

I think it's Matilda bay. Aussie. And it's crap. Insipid. Bland. Shameful.

Anything OP will brew will be tons better.

Back