Hops Suggestion For A Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
I've got a couple of 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt cans to do a toucan with 300g of Carapils.

Was just browsing through all the wheat recipes and can't find what hops are more traditionally used with wheat beers. I've got some Pacific Gem, Hallertau, Cascade and a few grams of Nelson Sauvin. Do I need Saaz?

Any suggestions for a hops profile for this toucan wheat?

Thanks. :icon_cheers:

The Hallertau will do just fine.

I normally only add a bittering addition at 60 minutes. Wheats are not hop driven styles, they're driven by the malt.

+1
Hallertau would be your best shot, or any of the other nobles... Saaz, Tettnang, etc

No late additions required, just a single bittering for a 15-20IBU.

I found Danstar Munich dry yeast to be a good choice if you want a subtle clove profile.

+1
Hallertau would be your best shot, or any of the other nobles... Saaz, Tettnang, etc

No late additions required, just a single bittering for a 15-20IBU.

I found Danstar Munich dry yeast to be a good choice if you want a subtle clove profile.
+1 to all of the above Hallertau are a definate staple hop to use. but if you are going to do a 2can I wouldn't bother with any hop additions at all.

I have done a few Cooper Wheats back in the day when I did K+K and I used to do 1x Coopers Wheat Beer + 1x Coopers Wheat Malt and sometimes I'd use a 12g Herberker or Hallertau finishing bag for a bit more hop aroma and flavour.

I believe the Coopers Wheat Beer would have to be the most under rated and under used kit in their collection I personally think it is an awesome kit and probaly the only kit I actually miss doing.

+1 to all of the above Hallertau are a definate staple hop to use. but if you are going to do a 2can I wouldn't bother with any hop additions at all.

I have done a few Cooper Wheats back in the day when I did K+K and I used to do 1x Coopers Wheat Beer + 1x Coopers Wheat Malt and sometimes I'd use a 12g Herberker or Hallertau finishing bag for a bit more hop aroma and flavour.

I believe the Coopers Wheat Beer would have to be the most under rated and under used kit in their collection I personally think it is an awesome kit and probaly the only kit I actually miss doing.

The cans I'm using are these...

765.jpg

...no hops, for better or worse. I've heard they're something like 50% wheat.

Sounds like I just need some bittering. Will do with the Hallertau - cheers all.

Nick.

Dont mind pearle in a wheat, got it from some book on wheat beer.

I did something similar and just steeped 24g Saaz and tossed the tea into the wort. Came up rather nice. Needed a month to smooth out before it was really tasty.

Cheers - Fermented.

Yeah, I know this race has been run etc..., but it depends on the yeast you are using for this beer.

If using a Bavarian wheat yeast, go for the Hallertau, and no second thoughts.

If making an American-style wheaty with US-05 or a Coopers dry yeast, I'd say to bitter to about 15-20 IBU with any of the hops and add about 10g late hops (end of boil) using any of the hops except the Hallertau.

Brew happy and love the wheat beers.
Les

when i do my extract wheat i use 15 of hallertaur and 30 of tettnang at 60 min with good results. tried one brew with just 45 tettnang but was not any where near as happy with the results.i always use wo6 dried yeast as well and found it very good for what iwas trying to achieve.

Thanks fellas.

What's the story with using really low AA hops as bittering hops? Is it the other stuff that we're trying to get out of the low AA hops rather than the AAs?

The lower AA hops can be used for bittering, however you will need a lot more to achieve the same IBU.

Being less bitter, they tend to be used more for flavour and aroma. High AA (10%+) hops can have a harsh flavour if used in very late additions. Not to say they can't be used though. For example, i have used Pride of Ringwood hops in an aussie pale ale for bittering and flavour (60,20,5min additions) and it produced a decent result.

The best way to find out is trial and error, perhaps even do a split boil and ferment 2 batches to compare results.

Back