Hops For An Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamout

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I haven't really gotten to know my hops really well yet so I was hoping for some suggestions,
I'm going to put down an Amber Ale this weekend,
it's one of the Morgans kit range,
I believe it's reasonably bittered in the can so I'm just planning on adding some flavour / aroma hops.
In my stash at the moment I have some American Sterling, Northern Brewer, Cascade and pride of ringwood. What do you think would work the best?
thanks!

I believe it's reasonably bittered in the can so I'm just planning on adding some flavour / aroma hops.
In my stash at the moment I have some American Sterling, Northern Brewer, Cascade and pride of ringwood. What do you think would work the best?
thanks!

Hi alamout,

From what you have at hand I would be using Cascade or Sterling.
POR and Northern Brewer are normally used as bittering hops.

Cheers,

Craig

believe it's reasonably bittered in the can so I'm just planning on adding some flavour / aroma hops.
thanks!

Yeah, I'd probably go with Cascade from what you have on hand. I did an Amber last month and used Willamette for aroma and it turned out beautifully.
BB

Anything but POR. :ph34r:

I'll stick up for NB. I made an all NB beer (steam beer of course) and I really liked the flavour and aroma it gave the beer. I think it'll work well with an amber.

Anything but POR. :ph34r:

I'll stick up for NB. I made an all NB beer (steam beer of course) and I really liked the flavour and aroma it gave the beer. I think it'll work well with an amber.
Anything but POR? That should be the answer to any "What hops go with...?" question. :rolleyes:

I must admit that I've never used NB. Where's it from and what's it normally go with?

Have done this kit a couple of times with Amarillo - very enjoyable.
Cascade would also work well.
Kit comes up well with 1.5kg of amber liquid malt extract in place of dry fermentables.
Cheers
Mark

Well, with the colder weather now, it's the perfect time to get some steam beer yeast (WLP810/Wy2112) and make a steam beer (it's such a better name than california common, and if they don't like it, Anchor can sue me. :p ). A very good brewer this way uses it for all his lagers.

thanks for the tips!
sounds like cascade might be the go

Have done this kit a couple of times with Amarillo - very enjoyable.
Cascade would also work well.
Kit comes up well with 1.5kg of amber liquid malt extract in place of dry fermentables.
Cheers
Mark

LHBS suggested a bag of their "amber booster" which is 500g of amber DME, 500g of Light DME and 250 of corn sugar I think,
I'm going backwards a bit in my complexity with this one, the last brew was a Nth American brown ale with a big grain steep, but I'm hoping it ends up as a nice drop.

I used Northern Brewer in an amber ale recently, It was a good result, and I enjoyed it.....that's my 2c worth.

Back