Hops for a hoppy red?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzagahan

Reaction score
hello brewers, i'm looking for some hop inspiration to give a classic red ale recipe a bit of a tickle and produce a more pronounced but nicely balanced hoppiness. i've been really enjoying Nail Brewery's 'Hoppy Red Ale', and the Karl strauss 'Red Trolley Ale' and feel inspired to head down that path. Any suggestions or experiences would be most welcome. cheers, gaz

I believe the nail Red is all citra and is super tasty, I recently brewed an imperial red singled hop with Mosaic, and was delicious

What kind of red ale style are you trying to emulate? Irish or american?

An hoppy irish would be nice with some late additions of some appropriate hops from the British Isles (EKG would be lovely). If you were after a more american style then you would be well served by using the C hops (cascade, centennial and citra) in a combination that would suit the gravity and malt bill.

JD

JDW81 said:
What kind of red ale style are you trying to emulate? Irish or american?

An hoppy irish would be nice with some late additions of some appropriate hops from the British Isles (EKG would be lovely). If you were after a more american style then you would be well served by using the C hops (cascade, centennial and citra) in a combination that would suit the gravity and malt bill.

JD
Hey JD my starting point is an Irish ale style, and the EKG would definitely suit that. have you got a view on the hop schedule that would give lift the ale into the hoppy but balanced zone? cheers.

citra, amarillo, centennial, cascade...just to select a few. :)

Latest posts

Back