Hopburst - At War With Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
Planning a hopburst on the weekend with seven varieties, which will be incrementally fed to the boil. The varieties are cascade, fuggles, POR, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, Saaz & Hersbrucker - equal weight of each

My question is to whether there would be a conflict of flavours between the Amarillo & the Nelson Sauvin, being thay they are both very pronounced.

Planning a hopburst on the weekend with seven varieties, which will be incrementally fed to the boil. The varieties are cascade, fuggles, POR, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, Saaz & Hersbrucker - equal weight of each

My question is to whether there would be a conflict of flavours between the Amarillo & the Nelson Sauvin, being thay they are both very pronounced.

Hmm i dont think Amarillo and NS are your issues. You have citrusy, spicy, peppery and floral hops there. If anything you may have more of an issue with the hop profile being 'muddled' you may be better of adding the high AA or citurusy/spicy hops as your flavour addtions and the gentler or lower AA hops later in the boil so their aroma is more pronounced.

They both have stone fruit flavours so it will work... whens the first hop addition? 30 or 20 minutes?

Im doing a hopburst next week with Nelson, Cascade and Galaxy...

Katie, every 5 minutes from the 30 minute mark.

Fourstar, I plan to combine all the hops together and simply dose out specific measures of the cocktail as opposed to fiddling about with making dozens of weighings. But if it's a bad idea to combine these hops, perhaps i should look instead at something like a three hop mix of Amarillo, Cascade, NS. and leave the rest for some other brew.

But if it's a bad idea to combine these hops, perhaps i should look instead at something like a three hop mix of Amarillo, Cascade, NS. and leave the rest for some other brew.

Perfect. The POR will not go well with massive amounts of citrus, and the Saaz and Hersbucker will be completely overwhelmed and wasted. Keep these and the Fuggles for Lagers and Bitters respectively.

I think three hops are enough, a burst doesnt mean as many hops you can get in. You still want to be able to know which hop worked with what.

All bollocks.

Try it, I bet you'll like it.

>POR will not go well with massive amounts of citrus< Crikey Adam, where did you get that idea from?

tdh

Its not all bollocks... Of cause you can do what ever you please in a beer. If you are unsure cut down the variables alot easier to discover what you dont like about it!

Sounds familiar.....

I personally liked it and have only received positive feedback.

Yep it was that very thread that got me thinking about doing it !

Speaking of hops, does anyone know what Double Dog DPA uses ? That's one tasty hop monster (although it's the most full on beer I think Ive ever had)

Couldn't agree more.
My comment is directed more towards AdamT at 3:35.

tdh

Go for it,what the hell have you to loose? It'll still be a drinkable beer and perhaps a fantastic one.

Save a bottle for old Batz hey?

Batz

As they say at Nike.

Just Do It..........

To be fair to Adamt, he might have a point. There's no doubt some art to blending the hops in a way that's the best outcome. With a subtle flavour it may be overpowered by the stronger flavoured one IF they were all added at equal weights. Perhaps the trick might be to add half as much Amarillo as Hersbrucker, therefore allowing the flavours of each to shine. Although its an inexact science, how would you truly measure it ? AA's isnt really indicative of flavour, but the imparted bitterness ... am I on he right track here ?

Also, unlike others who travel down this path, its not going to be overly bitter, but really big on the flavour side. Guess I should crack a recipe into beersmith, see what you guys (and girls) think, hey.

Hop 'til ya' drop :p

It would be great to hear the end result.

OK, crunching out a recipe, with the idea of:

1 part AA 4.4 Fuggles
1 part AA 6.3 Cascade
1 part AA 8.4 Amarillo
1 part AA 11.5 NS
1 part AA 11.0 POR
2 part AA 2.4 Czech Saaz
3 part AA 3.5 Hersbrucker

This will be my 'hop blend', which I'll crush up for consistent distribution of varieties. Total combined weight of 100 grams with an average AA of 8.12. They will hit the boil, 8.4 grams per dose at 30,25,20,15,10,5,0.

With the recipe of a Cerveza can, BE2, 500g LDME, 300g mashed pils grain, 200g steeped crystal, stating out with an 18IBU, the hop addittions will bring this up to about 40IBU. I think it's going to scream hop flavour :)

That does sound tasty.

My latest hopburst was bittered to 104 IBU....With a BU:GU of 1.849 it certainly smacks you in the face on the first mouthful.

70g Williamette
70g Cascade
70g Simcoe
70g US Tettanger

Drinking one right now, it is the bitter tastiness, and the flavours on the burp are incredible.

Back