POR + Cascade...what can I expect?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
So I got the chance to brew for the first time in a long time on the weekend and was planning to brew my tried and tested Pride Of The Galaxy Ale, which calls for POR as bittering and Galaxy late. Went to do a stocktake of ingredients Sat morning and no Galaxy. I don't have a LHBS near me so plan B, sub in some Nelson Sauvin for the Galaxy, which is an idea I've wanted to try as a brew to drink ANZAC day having POR and NS as that Aussie/Kiwi link. So the mash goes pretty well, get the boil going, chuck the POR in then go to weigh out the NS addition, can't find the pack. I swear I left it on top of the ferm fridge but can't find it anywhere, look high and low but no good. So I open the freezer for plan C. I'm looking at POR, Amarillo, Strisselspalt, Czezh Saaz, Citra and Cascade. TBH, I can't think of anything that will go with the POR (except POR of course, but didn't want to go that way), but in the end decided on Cascade. I then forgot the whirlfloc tablet (which I'm not sure makes much difference anyway and have thought about switching to something else), and then forgot to switch the kettle off when I started the whirlpool, so no cone was going to form no matter what I put in there :blink:. So pretty standard brew day really.

Has anyone tried this combo? I'm not holding great hopes for it, but I may well be wrong. It will still be beer.

For those playing at home, the vital statistics of the brew are here:

Plan C Ale (Australian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 7.7 (EBC): 15.2
Bitterness (IBU): 30.0 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

95.24% Maris Otter Malt
4.76% Caramunich I

0.8 g/L Pride of Ringwood (8.3% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Coopers

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Should be pretty good I think, probably a bit less in your face than with galaxy but should be a nice easy drinker

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Should turn out James Squirish - most of the new ales from the mainstreams seem to use POR for their heavy lifting - I do a similar pale ale using POR then finish it off with something American plus a tad of Nelson Sauvin.

It'll turn out really well, however i'm not sure why you are using pride of ringwood at 40 minutes instead of at 1 hour. It should turn out quite well because cascade is the staple hop to use in a lot of homebrews.

Are you going to refer to it as kale? :p

I'm playing with the idea of moving my bittering addition to 40 min to counteract the effect of no chilling.

Latest posts

Back