• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Hop Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murcluf

The Mystical Meerkat
Reaction score
Not instead of forking out for hop rhizomes at excessive prices how about nipping it in the bid right here and now with a good old Hop Swap. This is a way increasing your home grown hop selection by swapping some of your excess rhizomes for something your after, with someone else who is got what you want and wants what you have. Pretty straight forward don't you think, I post what I have and what I'm after, if you have what I want and I have what you want PM me and we can arrange a swap. It's a one for one deal, based upon goodwill and respect so don't try to stiff anyone. If anyone else want to do the same and post what they have and what they want then jump on board. :D

I have:(haven't dug them up yet)
TDB
Hersbruker
Mt Hood
Victoria
POR
Cluster
Chinook

I want:(only after one of each)
Tettnanger
Cascade
EKG
Fuggles

Sounds like a good idea to me.

On Offer:
Hallertauer
Goldings
Nugget
Mt Hood
Chinook

Looking for:
Saaz
Cascade
Willamette
Perle

Hi Murcluf,

i would love to but I have NO hop rhizomes at all :) :) sorry

One day. I'd love to grow them. I have plenty of room, fantastic soil, its just waiting to happen. I'd love to grow tett or hallertau, cascade, POR and hersbruker

What is TDB?

rendo

Not instead of forking out for hop rhizomes at excessive prices how about nipping it in the bid right here and now with a good old Hop Swap. This is a way increasing your home grown hop selection by swapping some of your excess rhizomes for something your after, with someone else who is got what you want and wants what you have. Pretty straight forward don't you think, I post what I have and what I'm after, if you have what I want and I have what you want PM me and we can arrange a swap. It's a one for one deal, based upon goodwill and respect so don't try to stiff anyone. If anyone else want to do the same and post what they have and what they want then jump on board. :D

I have:(haven't dug them up yet)
TDB
Hersbruker
Mt Hood
Victoria
POR
Cluster
Chinook

I want:(only after one of each)
Tettnanger
Cascade
EKG
Fuggles

if you love tett make sure you keep an eye out for wurtenburger as this is the ancestor of tett thats no longer grown comercially.
isnt tbd the french hop thats no longer grown comercially???

id suggest trimming every year just to stop them spreading too far

Hi Murcluf,

i would love to but I have NO hop rhizomes at all :) :) sorry

One day. I'd love to grow them. I have plenty of room, fantastic soil, its just waiting to happen. I'd love to grow tett or hallertau, cascade, POR and hersbruker

What is TDB?

rendo
Tardif de Bourgogne French hop, used as an aromatic in continental lagers. 3.1 - 5.5%

Rendo I'm happy to send you a POR or 2 to get you started just PM me your details and I'll get in them post for you.

POR is a great hop to start with I find it easy to grow and crops well, where others can be hit or miss.

Hi all,
I was wondering how much hop rhizomes normally sell for. The prices for the rhizomes on ebay seem to be a little expensive, one is up to nearly $40 (with postage). Is this normal or just because they are the first ones of the season?
thanks

Sounds like a good idea to me.

On Offer:
Hallertauer
Goldings
Nugget
Mt Hood
Chinook

Looking for:
Saaz
Cascade
Willamette
Perle

Got some Perle, will let you know about rhizome(s) in a few weeks, when it's gets proper cold here in the Sunny Coast. Love a Chinook in exchange, only really have room for one or two more mounds ATM.....

Great idea,
I have Hallertauer would like goldings, cascade or any that might grow well in South Aus

Nice idea. I have tett, chinook, goldings and hallertauer but I'll need to look into appropriate methods for digging up rhizomes as I currently have no idea.

Planted last spring so not sure how ready they are for rhizome splitting. Someone else may advise.

Got some Perle, will let you know about rhizome(s) in a few weeks, when it's gets proper cold here in the Sunny Coast. Love a Chinook in exchange, only really have room for one or two more mounds ATM.....
Sounds good, most of mine are still in the ground also, Chinook was one of the best growing/cropping this year, so I'm sure it will be no problem.

Hi,

I have a few varieties available-

Cluster
Chinook
Columbus x 2
Mt Hood
Hallartau
Vienna Gold
Wuertumberger
Pride Of Ringwood
Perle

I'm after a few that others have mentioned-

TDB
Hersbruker
Victoria
Nugget
Tettnang
Cascade

One day I will have some decent room for all of these, but the plan was/still is to have a rhizome bank in Melbourne, as there has been one started in Adelaide.

I now have TDB, Victoria and Hersbrucker thanks to Murcluf. These are not available to swap as they will be a bit too small to divide up, but should be OK for next year.

12 varieties now, I need some land I think!

Hi folks,

I have :

Victoria
Goldings
Cluster

Would like:

Chinook
Cascade
Tettnang
Perle
TDB
Hersbrucker
Vienna Gold
Wuertumberger
Columbus

Nice idea. I have tett, chinook, goldings and hallertauer but I'll need to look into appropriate methods for digging up rhizomes as I currently have no idea.

Planted last spring so not sure how ready they are for rhizome splitting. Someone else may advise.

Me too, never split any. Most only been in ground since last year, hope to have a look at them in next week or so

I have
~~~~
Hallertau
Hersbrucker ( is this same as above, or is above Mittlefrueh? )
Tettnang
Saaz
Cascade
Goldings
Perle
Columbus
Chinook
Cluster
POR

Looking for
~~~~~~

Fuggles
(and some others !)

FYI: I'm all swapped out now just waiting for some returns, I'd like to thank those who swapped with me it was a great exercise. Wish all those still going the best would love to see more come on board as time goes by. No doubt if we can keep this going we will be able to get a good diverse range of hops spread around the country and make hop growing more accessible to the homebrewer. rather the few who perfer to try and corner the market and scalp them at outrageous prices.

Back