Hop Substitution Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am making my favourite Porter recipe tomorrow night and noticed I was out of the key hops i used last time, they were:

20.00 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min (16.0 IBUs)
14.17 g Northern Brewer [9.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min (17.4 IBUs)
14.17 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Now, I know Cascade is a pretty unique hop, but I thought I would switch these hops around. My choices that I have on hand are...

Enigma 16.5%
Ella 14.6%
Topaz 16.2%
HPA O35 8.1%

Should I stick to the original recipe, or can one of you (who knows more about hops than I) suggest what might work best as a replacement. I haven't brewed with any of these, they were a gift from my mate at HPA.

Cheers

Chris

It might be my taste buds but Ella has a cascadeish feel to it. Made a Sierra Nevada pale ale using Ella instead of cascade and it sort of comes close.

Hi Chris,

I haven't tried that last hop on the list. There's nothing really cascade or northern brewer-like there in the other 3, but you could try a mix of ella for a floral aspect and enigma for a mango/pineapple hit. Enigma is an amazing hop and has been impossible to get for a while now. (ya lucky bugger)Hopefully some of this years crop makes it way to home brewers shortly

Not a fan of topaz myself. Strong apricot flavour and seemed to leave a horrendous hop haze in the 3 brews i used it late/dry in.

wereprawn said:
Hi Chris,

I haven't tried that last hop on the list. There's nothing really cascade or northern brewer-like there in the other 3, but you could try a mix of ella for a floral aspect and enigma for a mango/pineapple hit. Enigma is an amazing hop and has been impossible to get for a while now. (ya lucky bugger)Hopefully some of this years crop makes it way to home brewers shortly

Not a fan of topaz myself. Strong apricot flavour and seemed to leave a horrendous hop haze in the 3 brews i used it late/dry in.
Our local HB club got hold of some O35 last year and played with it...got some good results. I havent used it yet.

I might throw in Enigma for fun, but run down to the HBS at lunch for some NB hops?

Topaz is probably like a mix of centennial and galaxy if that makes sense - kinda dank passion fruit. Haven't used the others so no opinion.

Being a bit boring my porters tend to use Fuggles, EKG and maybe some Challenger or Target for bittering (not usual)
If you are happy with a cascade porter you will be happy with an Ella porter.

K

Back