Hop Showcase Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snagler

Reaction score
Recently I was lucky to receive a few bags of hop pellets from a mate who has a mate who grows hops in NZ

The hops I got are as follows

Green Bullet 12% AA
Pacific Jade 14%
Supa Alpha 12.5%
Nelson Sauvin 11.4%

I was going to try each in a single hop and single base malt AG beer to showcase these hops as Ive never tried them. I generally like a bittering range of 25 to 30 IBU

My question is, What hop addition schedule would you recommend for each individual hop ? (ie Bittering, flavour, aroma - quantities and boil times)

Its a great idea.
Im doing the same at the moment with IPA, trying to see if I can actually taste the difference by making "hop bombs" of only one hop used throughout.
Im targetting:
50IBU
6%abv
95% MO
2.5% Crystal
2.5% wheat
60 minute addition 60% hops
10 minute addition 15% hops
1 minute addition 15% hops
3 days in the 2ndary 10% hops

So far, Ive made a chinook, a target and the NZ northern bullet is fermenting right now

I would suggest breaking it down into percentage for the first 45 mins so that you get the IBU you're aiming for with each addition contributing the same proportionally. You'd need to calculate that using software or online spreadsheet. eg 50 percent of total IBU@60, 25 % @ 45, 25% @ 30 or something similar.

Then for aroma hops add the same weight.

I reckon that should give you an indication of the flavour and aroma differences of each.

This is based purely on what makes sense in my head rather than any actual experience with SMASH beers.

Single malt: 100% JW Traditional Ale or Marris Otter

Hop schedule: 60, 15, 2.

I'm trying to remember where I read it, but I have this feeling that the "rule of thirds" is a useful guideline - 1/3 for bittering (60min), 1/3 for flavour (15-30min), 1/3 for aroma (0min). I'm a novice really, so don't hold me to it. :)

T.

Single malt: 100% JW Traditional Ale or Marris Otter

Hop schedule: 60, 15, 2.

agree with this. I'd say bitter to 30- 35 ish and then 1g/L for the 15mins and 2 mins. The IBU's are outside your range but I'm running on my experience with the NZ hops I've tried, that is that are generally smooth and you don't notice the bitterness as much.

BUT in saying that there are some good recipes out there using the single hops that showcase the hops well that may not be SMASH beers but are reasonably close. Have a look in the database for Devo's GB Ale for Green Bullet, there was a thread around the place for the Knappstein Reserve Lager clone (which is great) for the Nelson...I can recommend both.

I've not used Pacific Jade or Super Alpha.

Back