Hop Screen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1149913

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm looking to get a hopscreen but wanted to run some stuff past you guys first.

1: How fine does the mesh have to be to block hop pellets?

2: Could i get away with using an esky false bottom - i have one from beerbelly spare, or will that simply let the hops through?

3: If no, best place to buy something reasonably priced that works?

I use a 500 micron hop sock

Picture 128.jpg

1391478541114.jpg

Got theses from Utah biodiesel 300 micron the big one sits on the edge of a keggle. The others are for dry hopping a keg. About $60au each. 304 stainless

If there was hop crap etc wouldn't those just clog up?

slash22000 said:
The screen can get a little gunked up but it doesn't really affect it a lot, most of the time I don't actually use it anyway...

The in-line filter doesn't get impacted at all, the filter part inside is about 5" long and usually only the first inch gets rubbish in it.

Thanks guys.

I also use a hop sock, but i use it to filter the wort going into the fermenter after being chilled rather than putting the hops in it during the boil. It works fine, but i've just upgraded to a pump and don't want to run the hops through it. Plus i want to start reducing point of possible infection.

Do you think using a hop sock or having hops free floating in the wort makes a difference in the end product?

J

slash22000 said:
Yup! Used mine once. Probably works for flowers but pellets just block it up.

2much2spend said:
attachicon.gif
1391478541114.jpg

Got theses from Utah biodiesel 300 micron the big one sits on the edge of a keggle. The others are for dry hopping a keg. About $60au each. 304 stainless
Gotta thankyou for this fella. Ordered me the 300 micron keggle filter straight away. :)

I whirl pool with a pickup tube on the side of the boil pot.

Pick up about 5% of the hop material when it gets down to the last 2-3L into the cube.
I do use a larger "100L" flat bottom pot so might not work for your particular setup.

Crash chill post fermentation and a bit of gelatin and all is well.
Might be an option to consider before going down hop filter path.

The hop screen from BB appears to me to be able to stop sweet f all Hole are far to big. If they were smaller they would clog.

IMO, it is not a viable practice to 'filter' hops/trub from the kettle.

Get your PU tube to the corner of you kettle and get a good whirlpool = sorted.

Cheers

(am out of pic posting room but example)

elcarter said:
The hop screen from BB appears to me to be able to stop sweet f all Hole are far to big. If they were smaller they would clog.
I think those are more suited to screening out whole hops flowers.

Cocko said:
IMO, it is not a viable practice to 'filter' hops/trub from the kettle.

Get your PU tube to the corner of you kettle and get a good whirlpool = sorted.

Cheers

(am out of pic posting room but example)

yep that works.... but not in my case, no ability to whirlpool. Find hopsocks do a great job in keep crud out but I do sometimes wonder about hop extraction efficiency. :wacko:

Back