Hop schedule question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1.0

Reaction score
I'm hoping to brew this tomorrow evening and am looking for some last minute advice.

The recipe is inspired by the old "Everyone should make this" thread.

3.5kg LDME
0.5kg Dextrose
0.3kg Medium crystal (is this too much / not enough?)
US05

I have 100g of Centennial 10.2%AA and 100gAmarillo 8.9%AA at my disposal. I'm going to be no chilling and am wondering if that will increase bitterness and potentially decrease aroma of late additions?

So my current thinking is

Centennial 15g @ 30mins
Amarillo 20g @ 20mins
Amarillo 40g @ 10mins
and maybe dry hop with left over Amarillo?

Am I on the right track?

Not to steal Yobs line but I'd throw the late hops straight into the cube, calculate them as a 15 to 20 minute addition (if using Brewmate make sure the No Chill box isn't checked). The amount of flavour/aroma in the finished beer even without a dry hop is pretty remarkable.

I'm not sure I understand the reason for going no chill with an extract brew.
Personally I used to go with 8 litre hop boils and adjust the hop additions accordingly.
To me no chill is an added complication and one that you can avoid when doing extract. I never boiled all of my fermentables only enough to approach 1.040 in the boil.

Yeah, what's the size of your extract boil that you have to no chill? My extract boils were only ever 6 or 8 litres and if you've had the rest of the water in the fridge it'll cool it down to close enough to pitching temp...

Since you asked, I'm boiling 23 litres.
For a few reasons - 1 we are on rainwater and it reduces risk of infection from that.
2 Since I got temperature control I like being able to, well, control the temperature I pitch at.

I also don't have long chunks of spare time, so it helps me break up the process into 2 parts. Now I don't stress about unpitched word sitting in the sink while it cools.

Don't stres, I use somewhat similar. Up to 19l. The heat will pasteurise your fermentor just let it sit till the morning to equalise temp and pitch then. If it goes into the fermenter hot it's the same as cubing. Run your air lock etc. I have to put two washes into my fermenter to get a 22l batch come times these are a week apart, it all goes well with goo hygiene and boiled wort.

Aaron1.0 said:
Since you asked, I'm boiling 23 litres.
For a few reasons - 1 we are on rainwater and it reduces risk of infection from that.
2 Since I got temperature control I like being able to, well, control the temperature I pitch at.

I also don't have long chunks of spare time, so it helps me break up the process into 2 parts. Now I don't stress about unpitched word sitting in the sink while it cools.
Cool
Looks like an added complication you need. I have considered driving up to Mount Field to collect some pure water, boiling 20 plus litres is a bit hard at the moment though as I am on the stove top with a 19 litre pot. Good luck with the extract brew.

Cheers VB and thanks Donske, I'll recalculate using your suggestion in Ian's spreadsheet.

Brew done, I used 20g Centennial @ 20 mins and 60g Amarillo in the cube, which I calculated as a 15min addition. Lets see how it turns out

Perfect combo.....do an all late hop @15m, 10m & 5m with even amounts of centennial and Amarillo to 35ibu :)

Not every beer needs a 60min addition.

Pratty1 said:
Perfect combo.....do an all late hop @15m, 10m & 5m with even amounts of centennial and Amarillo to 35ibu :)

Not every beer needs a 60min addition.
Thanks for that. I'll see how this one turns out and try splitting the centennial and Amarillo evenly on the next one to compare. Trying to get my head around the effect of no chill on late hop additions!

Well, just had a smell and taste of this from the fermentor, currently at 1.014.

Got my missus to smell and taste it too, she described it as passionfruit (with no prompting) and I was picking up loquot or maybe apricot. Awesome aroma.

Its probably a bit early to say now, but I think next time I would ease off a bit on the crystal and the bittering addition. Can't wait to taste it carbed up!

Latest posts

Back