Too much 20min hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping that I can salvage my latest brew somehow. I accidentally added 40g centennial at 20min instead of 20g, along with 20g cascade giving me an estimated IBU (brewers friend) of 50 rather than the 30 I was looking for. This also give me a BU/GU of 1.28 (calculated OG of 1.040). The wort has now been cubed and am waiting to ferment until I work out a solution.

Would lots of dry hopping be able to counter the bitterness that this will give? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Chap

Brew another cube with less hops and blend them together.

A massive dry hop will probably not help. Depending on what hop you use and how you do it, the situation could become worse as dry hopping can add some astringency. I would leave it, your beer will be fine. A calculated 50 IBU won't result in 50 IBU in the finished beer anyhow as some of that will drop out with your yeast. If the beer is still too bitter post ferment a couple of weeks of cold conditioning should sort things out.

. Being late additions were these actual 20min or no chill calculated end of boil as 20min?

. Being late additions were these actual 20min or no chill calculated end of boil as 20min?
Actual 20 min, so with no chill looking at 40, no other bittering additions were made though. I've just taken a sample and OG is 1.044. Tasted it, and its not as bitter as I expected it, but its definitely there. I think I'll roll with it for now and see how it goes. This is a freezer burn brew (ie using up leftover hops) so I'll take it easy on the dry hopping as per GalBrew's recommendation to avoid astringency. Thanks for the help.

I have a similar stat beer right now - depends on your mash temp and grains too but mine was 1041 and 1008 with 3.5% cara - the rest wheat and pils at 66C

62ibu all calculated as a 20minute but added 5 mins before flame out and let sit for another hour - BF said 62IBU based on the utilisation % I put in...it has 10grams /L dry hopped...if you don't take things to the edge, how do you know where the edge is?

you could use some resinous hops like chinook (blend 50:50 with something citralicious) for a dry-hop or Riwaka - ferment with s04 which I believe is a softer finish with big hops than US05

Last edited:
You could try balancing the bitterness by adding extra fermentables to increase the ABV

Latest posts

Back